Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

overage due to Exchange message stuck in outbox

Howdy all,

have seen lots of posts about mail messages stuck in Outbox, and how the easiest way to remove it is to go into Airplane mode and then delete it etc.

Anyone know an actual root cause? Thiis is causing us grief petty regularly, with users going over their monthly data limit and racking up excess charges.

Anyone know any to either stop the issue from occurring, or forcing the phone to abandon a send after a set number of retries?

Telco keeps telling me "other clients do not have the issue" so am hoping its something we've missed.

Exchange 2007 SP3 (rollup8), most of the iPhone fleet are 6.1.x or 7.0.4

regards,

Justin

<Edited by Host>

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 5:41 AM

The root cause would most likely be a communication problem with the Exchange server. If you're including an attachment, the server may have a maximum size limit for messages. If the message exceeds the maximum size set by your administrator, it will be rejected and the phone may continue to re-try the send.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2014 5:41 AM in response to Justin Gillfeather

The root cause would most likely be a communication problem with the Exchange server. If you're including an attachment, the server may have a maximum size limit for messages. If the message exceeds the maximum size set by your administrator, it will be rejected and the phone may continue to re-try the send.

Jan 26, 2016 2:04 AM in response to Justin Gillfeather

Hi Justin

I recently experienced the same problem. Not knowing the size of the video attachment (126 Mb) I sent the mail to a single recipient.

I received a mail failure report and left it at that.

The mail remained in my outbox and did not appear in my sent items.

What I was not aware of is that the mail then tried to resent 121 times clocking up 15.7 Mb of cell phone data over the next 24 hrs.

I am not sure as to the cause or how to prevent this from re occurring.

iphone 5

ISO 9.2 (13C75)

Cell phone carrier : MTN 23.0

Can some one please shed some more light on the subject.

Is this a system error or a setting that can be altered?

Regards

Gavin

Jan 27, 2016 7:02 PM in response to gavinfromny

We were plagued by this problem when we first got iPhone back in 2013. Our users that went over quota were commonly found to have a large email stuck in their Outbox. We still find emails stuck in Outboxes, but they haven't been retrying as far as I know. I cant remember which version of iOS, but I'm surprised to hear it can still happen in iOS 9.2. Is your mailbox on an Exchange server?

overage due to Exchange message stuck in outbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.