Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recovering Notes

I used iDrive to do a data backup before erasing my hard drive and reinstalling all the software. I use Apple's "Notes" app (you know, the one whose icon is a small yellow legal pad).

My old notes were gone after installing the operating system.

But I found them in the backup folder: MacbookProJanuary18backup/Users/myname/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/ Library/ (etc) and from this point there are 5 folders in the Library to choose from (Caches, CoreData, LaunchAgents, Notes, and Preferences), and I've navigated down all of them. I'm quite sure my old Notes are in here. I've tried copying and pasting various folders and files into the corresponding folders and files of ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library (etc.). Then I restart the computer and click on the Notes app icon, but the old notes aren't there. The Notes app does not have an Import feature, so I'm pretty sure I can get everything back by copying and pasting. I just need help. iDrive tech support says that once the backed up files or folders are restored to my computer, it's not their responsibility to tell the user what to do with them from there. They told me to get help at Apple.

Anyone?

And please, when you write back to me, please keep it on a "Dummies" level! Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), I upgraded from Mtn Lion Jan 18.

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 6:49 PM

I figured it out!!

Here is what I did:

I created a new Note, then closed the Notes app. Opened it again just to make sure my note was there, and it was.

Then closed the app again. Then I entered into Spotlight the exact 5 words that were the content of my new note. When the results opened, I clicked on "Show results in Finder". I found my note in the list and brought up the submenu (by right-clicking) and chose "Reveal in Finder." This process showed me exactly where Notes data are stored. I kept this Finder window open.

Next, I went to my backup file where I knew my old Notes were stored, and went as far as: MacbookProJanuary18backup/Users/myname/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data

I then clicked on "Data", then copied it into the "com.apple.Notes" folder on the Finder window that I just described to you in the above paragraph. A pop-up asked me if I wanted to replace the file of same name that was there already and I (with fear and bravery) clicked Yes. I clicked on the Notes app icon in my Dock, and voila! All my old notes were there!!!! I'm totally excited, because honestly folks, I am truly a computer Dummie.

I hope this helps someone else someday.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2014 6:49 PM in response to punzq

I figured it out!!

Here is what I did:

I created a new Note, then closed the Notes app. Opened it again just to make sure my note was there, and it was.

Then closed the app again. Then I entered into Spotlight the exact 5 words that were the content of my new note. When the results opened, I clicked on "Show results in Finder". I found my note in the list and brought up the submenu (by right-clicking) and chose "Reveal in Finder." This process showed me exactly where Notes data are stored. I kept this Finder window open.

Next, I went to my backup file where I knew my old Notes were stored, and went as far as: MacbookProJanuary18backup/Users/myname/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data

I then clicked on "Data", then copied it into the "com.apple.Notes" folder on the Finder window that I just described to you in the above paragraph. A pop-up asked me if I wanted to replace the file of same name that was there already and I (with fear and bravery) clicked Yes. I clicked on the Notes app icon in my Dock, and voila! All my old notes were there!!!! I'm totally excited, because honestly folks, I am truly a computer Dummie.

I hope this helps someone else someday.

recovering Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.