Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad motherboard replacement

If I an activation locked ipad mini and I cannot get in contact with the previous owner, will replacing the motherboard bypass this so that the iPad isn't connected to the previous owner anymore? I have a broken/unusable iPad mini for parts and I could try to swap the motherboards if anyone thinks this will work.

iPad

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 6:48 PM

I don't think that'll work.

I'm not sure if they're compatible, but even if they were, using a computer analogy, it's not the motherboard that's your issue, rather the harddrive. That's where the memory is. I've never seen inside an iPad so I have no idea if the memory chips are a part of the motherboard or not.

I think the only way I'd try to frankenstein and end up with two bricks is if you have absolutely no other way. Getting a hold of the original owner is totally out of the question? Because that'd be the easiest way. As soon as you pop that back off apple will wash their hands of the device and if you mess up and brick it, well you have two very expensive door stops.

If you want to proceed, I'd talk to some repair places and get their experienced advice.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2014 6:48 PM in response to Hiev19

I don't think that'll work.

I'm not sure if they're compatible, but even if they were, using a computer analogy, it's not the motherboard that's your issue, rather the harddrive. That's where the memory is. I've never seen inside an iPad so I have no idea if the memory chips are a part of the motherboard or not.

I think the only way I'd try to frankenstein and end up with two bricks is if you have absolutely no other way. Getting a hold of the original owner is totally out of the question? Because that'd be the easiest way. As soon as you pop that back off apple will wash their hands of the device and if you mess up and brick it, well you have two very expensive door stops.

If you want to proceed, I'd talk to some repair places and get their experienced advice.

Jan 22, 2014 7:06 PM in response to Hiev19

Also, does anyone know how the iPad device is connected to the original owner? I should have asked this part first. Does the iPad's IP address tell Apple who has the previous account with the iPad? Does it have an IMEI like phones that connects to the previous owner? Maybe there is another way the previous owner is connected to the iPad than the hard drive or logic board/motherboard.

Jan 22, 2014 7:23 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Well, really what I'm asking is does anyone know exactly what can be replaced to bypass the activation lock. If the logic board or other part can be replaced basically making it an iPad not connected to anyone, then I will do that. I am pretty handy with repairing Apple products but I don't actually know how to solve this problem.

Jan 22, 2014 7:31 PM in response to Hiev19

The advice above to take it to someone who actually provides service to iDevices would be the best recommendation. I'm going to take a guess and say you're not likely going to get the device up and running, even if you replace the mother board. I would be willing to bet the information you need to access the device is likely stored on the hard drive.

Jan 22, 2014 7:47 PM in response to Hiev19

You got to be kidding....

If you have ever tried to take an iPad apart you would know it isn't easy.

This site has step by step with pictures to replace the logic board (not mother board)

117 steps and you have to totally take the iPad apart. Chance of it working again if you never worked on this kind of electronic before...slim.

Good luck.

Here is the fixit site....

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPad+Mini+Wi-Fi+Logic+Board+Replacement/17259

Jan 22, 2014 8:07 PM in response to lizdance40

It's not that hard for me. I have done plenty of screen repairs and even some soldering on the digitizer. The iPhone 4s requires a complete disassembly to replace the lcd and digitizer and I can do this no problem. I have already looked at the ifixit site to see how to replace the logic board. I know I can take it apart and put it back into working order. My question is what part can you replace to basically give it a new I.D. so that iTunes doesn't recognize the iPad as being connected to the previous owner. If you don't know, that's okay. Thank you for your concern.

Mar 13, 2014 12:08 AM in response to Hiev19

I think the IMEI number is connected to the previous owner. When you connect your iPad to iTunes, iTunes will send the IMEI to Apple server to check if it's connected to an account. IMEI is usually burried in the logicboard (motherboard of iDevice). So, I think, if you change the logicboard then you will get new IMEI number. Please correct me if i am wrong.

iPad motherboard replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.