Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need urgent help to get copy of original hardware configuration

So today I had a pretty frustrating Apple Store experience today.

Last year in November I bought a custom made (by the apple.com webstore) MacBook Pro from a guy who offered it on CL. Receipt, serial number, everything was fine.

The following December I was forced to sell it (lost job etc); I found a buyer and sent it correct declared via FedEx.

FedEx lost my package; the only copy of the receipt I had was inside the package (I know stupid me 😟); but hey I still have the serial number.

FedEx now needs a proof of value; so I went into the Apple Store and asked for a manager to get a printout of the receipt or at least a copy of the original configuration; result = due privacy reasons not possible. I should contact the original buyer; and of course I don't have the contact details from this guy anymore (met this guy once but that's it). I even asked if it's not possible to sent the configuration directly to FedEx (via email), even that is not possible. I'm desperate and need help..

Has anyone an idea what I could do?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 6:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 6:54 PM

I'll just ask this because you may not have remembered... usually when you buy at Apple they send you an email as well as a physical receipt. Any chance you still have the email?

The other thing you could try would be to contact tech support on the phone. They may be able to help you.

8 replies

Jan 22, 2014 7:01 PM in response to BobRz

Unfortunately I'm not the original buyer. That's the whole problem. Since I don't have the order number I cannot access this feature online. I only have the serial number and know the configuration (and no FedEx doesn't honor a printout from the Apple Store with an identical configuration)

I totally understand that Apple wants to protect their customers especially since out there is a lot of fraud or people which are trying to get a receipt for stolen devices; that's here not the case; and I'm a customer too (even I'm not the original buyer)

Jan 22, 2014 7:36 PM in response to brainshattered

Well, a few things...

1. I thought maybe you could get Apple to price it for you based on that info. No one here is going to be able to help you get a copy of the actual receipt from Apple. We're all just users like you.

2. Maybe I don't understand how the Fedex claim process works, but if you paid for the insurance when you sent it, why do you now have to prove the value of it? You paid the extra amount for insurance right?

3. About the only thing left is for you to call Apple support. They're still there now. See if you have any more luck with them than the store guy. If nothing else, based on the serial number they may be able to give you a copy of the exact configuration, which is what you said you needed in your original post (which is why I gave you that link).

Need urgent help to get copy of original hardware configuration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.