Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won't load HBO Go on macbook pro

I keep trying to load hbogo.com, but safari says it can not find the server. It was working just a couple of days ago. How can I fix this. I made sure everything was updated and restarted my computer and safar, but no luck.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 6:47 PM

14 replies

Jan 22, 2014 7:28 PM in response to JC273

Double-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

hbogo.com

Launch the Network Utility application.

Select the Lookup tab and paste into the address field (command-V). Press return. Post the output that appears below – the text, please, not a screenshot.

Important Note

Some web browsers and mail clients will automatically convert a domain name such as "www.example.com" to a clickable URL, such as http://www.example.com. That will interfere with the test. If necessary, edit the input in the Network Utility window to remove any added characters.

Jan 24, 2014 6:22 AM in response to JC273

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you boot, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

Jan 30, 2014 4:51 PM in response to Linc Davis

Good day Linc Davis,

Here is what I see when using the Lookup as suggested.

Lookup has started…

Trying "hbogo.com"

;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 57770

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 8, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;hbogo.com. IN ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:

hbogo.com. 421 IN A 206.208.179.21

hbogo.com. 421 IN A 206.208.179.83

hbogo.com. 421 IN A 206.208.179.139

hbogo.com. 5055 IN NS ns05.savvis.net.

hbogo.com. 5055 IN NS ns02.savvis.net.

hbogo.com. 5055 IN NS ns01.savvis.net.

hbogo.com. 5055 IN NS ns03.savvis.net.

hbogo.com. 5055 IN NS ns04.savvis.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:

ns02.savvis.net. 155 IN A 204.70.57.242

ns03.savvis.net. 35 IN A 204.70.25.234

ns04.savvis.net. 271 IN A 204.70.49.234

ns05.savvis.net. 198 IN A 204.71.116.25

Received 244 bytes from 192.168.1.1#53 in 26 ms

I also tried pinging all 3 IP Address but was taken to a site with a grey background (see image below)

User uploaded file

I also tried using Firefox and HBOGo worked perfectly fine, so at this point I'm guess the issue is pointing to my Safari Browser settings. I haven't had any recent updates and up to a couple of weeks ago everything was working fine. I'm current using Safari Version 6.1.1 (7537.73.11) ... any thoughts/suggestions on how to fix?

Mar 2, 2014 8:38 PM in response to JC273

Let me just say that I am in no way a computer genius. That said, I have been having similar problems getting hbogo to work. I did finally get it to load. Make sure that the "show develop menu in menu bar" box is checked in Safari's advanced preferences. Then go to hbogo.com. The website, as usual, will fail to load. When it does, click devolop in the tool bar. Choose user agent. The internet explorer 10.0 setting allows the page to load for me. I hope this helps anyone else having this problem.

Safari won't load HBO Go on macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.