Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any idea how to 'preview' draft versions of epub eBooks?

How can you 'preview' draft versions of ePub format books (ie not msde with iBook Author) on the iPad?

- The latest version of iTunes has canned the Books section (I think), so that's not possible

- There is no link between iBooks on the Mac and iBooks on the iPad, so that's not possible

- Dropbox doesnt recognize .epub files as 'viewable', so that's not possible

- Mail has size constraints, so that's not possible

Looks like the usual 'dropped the ball' situation again.

Suggestions?

iBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Using Apple software applications

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 6:48 PM

4 replies

Jan 24, 2014 8:08 AM in response to CarlOttersen

iBooks was broken out from iTunes, but works in conjunction with it.

There are a number of ways to do what you need.

You load your ebook into iBooks on your Mac, then sync your iPad with iTunes. Make sure you turn on the "Sync Books" option in iTunes and enable "Sync bookmarks, highlights and collections across devices" in iBooks (General tab). You can then read your ePub using iBooks on the iPad. If you have more than one iDevice and load the book on all of them, your reading position, notes and highlights will be kept in sync.

There are a number of ebook readers available for the iPad that connect with Dropbox. I use Marvin because it allows you to sync your reading position between devices (however, not highlights or notes, yet), and it also syncs with Calibre. If you create annotations in Marvin (say, notes about editing corrections, etc.), you can use Calibre to download those notes on your Mac.

There are, however, lots of ereaders available in the app store.

Jan 24, 2014 9:15 AM in response to wrk3

Hi Wrk3

Thanks for the reply

As to the iTunes route, that indeed was what I was doing untill the latest update of iTunes. Please show me where that can be done in the latest update : 11.1.4. Here is a screenshot that explains the issue. As you can see, no "Books" in the menu bar - so not possible to do any configuration as function completely lasìcking now. Or am I wrong?

User uploaded file

But thanks for the point about epub and ebook readers on the app store. Here I was, thinking I could and should use an Apple product, like I used to be able to do until last week. Will check which one works for ePub3 also that way.

Jan 25, 2014 11:09 AM in response to CarlOttersen

You're not quite into iTunes far enough.

Connect your iPad and click the iPad button.

User uploaded file

When the Summary page loads, you should see Books along the menu bar.

User uploaded file

It seems to me the Books item didn't appear in iTunes for me until I had loaded my books into iBooks and turned on the "Sync books" check box. Can't remember clearly.

User uploaded file

Click the Books menu item and be sure the Sync Books box in iTunes is checked.

Let me know if there are any problems with this.

Any idea how to 'preview' draft versions of epub eBooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.