Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Roaming network - multiple generations Airport Extreme

I currently an all AirPort Extreme roaming network in place with a 5th generation AirPort Extreme acting as a Router (in the basement) and a 3rd Gen and a 2nd generation in the roaming network.

I was just given a new AirPort Extreme ac and am trying to determine where I would get the biggest increase in throughput and range.

Should the newest Airport become the router in the basement and the "main" AirPort Extreme or place it on the main floor as part of the roaming network because that is where we spend the most time

Thanks for any thoughts on this

Jeff

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 8:20 PM

7 replies

Jan 22, 2014 9:03 PM in response to JeffE26

The new Extreme might have just a bit better antenna reach, so that might dictate where it might best be located.

There is no advantage in making the new AirPort Extreme the primary router on the network, or using it as an access point at another location if you plan to equally split the time with your "ac" devices location wise.

If you want good throughput with "ac" devices from both locations, you will need more "ac" routers.

Jan 22, 2014 9:27 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks. Testing it out now as one of my extended base stations in the living room, where we probably spend the most time. Seems like it may have better reach , but need to test more.

Now I just need to figure out how to make the devices roam better , meaning, switch to the nearest base station, versus remaining on the one where it initially connects to, even if it is the furthest away

Jan 23, 2014 5:18 AM in response to JeffE26

Now I just need to figure out how to make the devices roam better , meaning, switch to the nearest base station, versus remaining on the one where it initially connects to, even if it is the furthest away

Macs will usually switch to the closest access point in a roaming network, but iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad usually will not......because they have much simpler operating systems. Nature of the beast, I am afraid.

In most cases, you will need to switch off the WiFi on an iOS device when you move it to another area, and then switch the WiFi back on to allow the iOS device to pick up the signal from the closer and stronger access point.

So, I would not spend much time testing to see if iOS devices will behave like a Mac on a roaming network. They won't.

Feb 4, 2016 6:57 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

I have a roaming network with an airport extreme dual band n and a time capsule dual band n. They are in bridge mode from my uverse residential gateway modem. I am thinking of replacing the time capsule with a new time capsule AC for my kids with their macbook pros' as they don't get very good reception. I have a separate ethernet cable from my verse modem running upstairs to my wife's laptop and would like to move the time capsule dual band n to that location. If the time capsule is connected to the same modem but not to the other airport extreme will they still be on the same roaming network or do I have to connect the time capsule to the airport directly (which means running new ethernet upstairs). Looking of the path of least resistance and a solid roaming network for the whole house.

Thanks in advance

Midge

Roaming network - multiple generations Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.