Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much ram should i put in my mac mini mid-2011?

Hello, so i have a mid-2011 mac mini intel i5 2.3GHz with 2gb of ram and sometimes its kind of slow.. I've searched on OWC for ram and found 4gb (2x2gb) for about 58$ and 8gb (2x4gb) for 105$. I am an high school student that does a lot of pages documents, garageband and imovie projects, iphoto editing and i sometimes use xcode. Should 4gb of ram be sufficient or it would be better if i had 8gb? Well, i know that more ram is always better, but would 4gb make a lot of difference from my 2gb?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 9:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 10:05 PM

4GB would only be a modest improvement in Mavericks. It is always best to future proof and go for the larger upgrade, instead of wishing that you had.

Additionally if you are going to run GarageBand, iMovie projects or move on to Pro App's at sometime, you might some day wish that you had taken it to 16GB.

see > Apple Mac mini Memor upgrades for 2011 Mac mini models

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2014 10:05 PM in response to Gab13

4GB would only be a modest improvement in Mavericks. It is always best to future proof and go for the larger upgrade, instead of wishing that you had.

Additionally if you are going to run GarageBand, iMovie projects or move on to Pro App's at sometime, you might some day wish that you had taken it to 16GB.

see > Apple Mac mini Memor upgrades for 2011 Mac mini models

Jan 23, 2014 5:22 PM in response to Gab13

If you don't have an SSD already, I would get one of those first and swap it with your current internal hard drive. You will get the performance benefits of an SSD, plus if your computer runs out of physical memory (RAM) then it will use the SSD for virtual memory and that will be so much faster than using a hard drive that it will feel like you upgraded the RAM already.

Jan 23, 2014 6:36 PM in response to Gab13

Tough question.

2 GB RAM is very small. Even on memory-efficient Mavericks you are swapping very much memory onto HD. 8 GB RAM gives you much more actual processing. Think of a 1x1 ft desk vs a 10x4 ft desk.

SSD makes it faster as well (faster storage access).

Both is best, but 2 GB RAM even with SSD is going to disappoint I believe.

Jan 23, 2014 6:55 PM in response to Gab13

The other option is a Hybrid drive.

I have a 7200 rpm Hitachi Travalstar and 8GB in my Mac Mini, and it runs circles around the stock configuration. Additionally they come in 500GB and a 1T for around $100, so that you will not have to spend an arm and leg on a drive that is to small for editing large projects.

Jan 23, 2014 7:14 PM in response to Gab13

You can get a 120GB Samsung SSD on Amazon for $90. Put your movies and music on an external drive since it doesn't matter how fast you read/write those. You can take your current internal drive and put it in an external enclosure for $15.

For the money, this will give you the biggest performance improvement.

But, if you still want to upgrade your RAM, you can go to the Activity Monitor app, Memory tab, and look at "Swap used" in the lower left corner. That will tell you how much data *would* be stored in memory if you upgraded. Check this number next time your computer is running slow. If it's 2GB or less, then you wouldn't benefit at all from > 4GB total memory. Currently I "only" have 4GB of memory in my Mac Mini and I'm running a bunch of stuff and I'm using zero swap, so I would get literally no benefit from more RAM.

How much ram should i put in my mac mini mid-2011?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.