Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install Windows 8.1 via Boot Camp on MBPr 13" Early 2013; tried almost everything.

Hi guys,

yesterday, I decided to install Windows 8.1 on my Mac using Boot Camp. I tried to install it, but the first attempt ended into booting to the screen, where it says "Cannot find any bootable device" or something like that. So I googled it up and then tried the EFI Boot. The EFI Boot booted into the Windows installation properly, but I cannot choose the partition I want to install it on. I tried partitioning it in Disk Utility using Tuxera to NTFS, I tried formatting it in the installation itself, always restarted between the processes, I tried to delete the partition and create a new one in the installation, but no luck. I am still stuck on the error "Cannot install Windows on MBR partition. Please, choose a GPT partition". I have a 256GB SSD disk. I browsed the problems and solutions for 3 hours, but no luck. None of the solution helps. The only solution that would work I guess is if I don’t boot into EFI, but into the BIOS installation. But when I do that, I get the "Cannot find any bootable device", so a dead end here. I also tried the tips where they say to remove the USB stick when the Windows installation starts, but didn’t help either.

I am installing using a bootable USB drive, I do not have a Superdrive and cannot even lend it or something like that.

I am really desperate, can anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance,

DavidKop_

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Boot Camp EFI Boot MBR GPT Windows

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 11:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 4:08 AM

Windows 8.1 is not yet supported by Bootcamp.

Out of interest how did you prepare the USB?

7 replies

Jan 23, 2014 4:41 AM in response to Number88

Oh, isn’t it? I did some research on Google and I deducted that it is supported. I tried it using this article http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1671442.

I prepared the USB normally throught Boot Camp. I inserted the Win 8.1 ISO image and it started preparing with no problem at all, so I thought it would work.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jan 23, 2014 4:50 AM in response to DavidKop_

Some people have been successful installing 8.1 (me, for instance) despite it not being supported. However this seems to be hardware dependent.

I would have expected the normal WININSTALL option to be available on a Bootcamp-created USB, not just the EFI boot option.

It really depends on whether Bootcamp is creating a hybrid MBR when it creates the Bootcamp partition. Some later model Macs do not. On the Macs that do not create the hybrid MBR Windows may install in EFI mode.

If you remove everything and stretch the Macintosh HD back to the full size of the disc again then reboot and when the system restarts begin the Bootcamp installation again but do not let it restart at that time, you can then run the following code in the terminal and report its output we will be able to see if a hybrid MBR has been created (this is after the partition has been created by Bootcamp, but before it reboots).

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

Cannot install Windows 8.1 via Boot Camp on MBPr 13" Early 2013; tried almost everything.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.