Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X ocassional cpu spikes ?

Hi guys,

this happens since i upgraded LPX to version 10.0.5,or since I've upgraded to Mavericks , I'm not sure because I've done both of them in the same day...

I get from time to time a cpu overload which is also shown on the cpu load meter in LPX...

The meter goes full and then it descends , this thing lasting a couple of seconds and meantime the audio becomes garbled.

This is happening from time to time, not very often, id say at an apron interval of about 15 or 20 minutes or so...

It doesn't matter if i have just one track or 100 tracks and these days i just switched the audio interface also and it still does the same way.

I have a 2008 3.1 , 8 core Mac Pro with 16gb of Ram running Mavericks.

What could be the cause , is really annoying because every time it happens i must stop playback and wait for the "buffer" to empty...

Thanks a lot !

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 12:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2014 8:19 AM

Hey there, I think you might be suffering from what my setup was. Sometimes I would get a spike and sometimes not.

In my case it seems that I was availing myself of the ability to use a great deal of synths and effects at once on input. Logic uses much more CPU power handling live playing of synths, this is a known fact, but what I discovered is that Logic uses more processes that involve a single thread when handling large GAIN levels.

Here's how you can check.... next time it happens... group all of your faders, audio and instrs and pull them down untill the master fader meter is 3/4s of the way. This will let you know if you are overdriving the system.

We all like to see the meters dance as an indication of a good level but Logic's metering is setup the wrong way when shipped. Go to your display preferences and change the exponential/Linear setting for your meters to the other option and then you won't find yourself with levels that will overdrive the system. This will have the added benefit that you will get used to meter level readings that are closer to what professional post production houses want to receive.

This CPU overdrive problem is internal to Logic and not your machine... if you look at your system activity monitor (UTILITIES FOLDER) you will see your processer sitting idle while these problems occur. Logic X is great but this is the one tiny thing that they need to address.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2014 8:19 AM in response to gabriel_brosteanu

Hey there, I think you might be suffering from what my setup was. Sometimes I would get a spike and sometimes not.

In my case it seems that I was availing myself of the ability to use a great deal of synths and effects at once on input. Logic uses much more CPU power handling live playing of synths, this is a known fact, but what I discovered is that Logic uses more processes that involve a single thread when handling large GAIN levels.

Here's how you can check.... next time it happens... group all of your faders, audio and instrs and pull them down untill the master fader meter is 3/4s of the way. This will let you know if you are overdriving the system.

We all like to see the meters dance as an indication of a good level but Logic's metering is setup the wrong way when shipped. Go to your display preferences and change the exponential/Linear setting for your meters to the other option and then you won't find yourself with levels that will overdrive the system. This will have the added benefit that you will get used to meter level readings that are closer to what professional post production houses want to receive.

This CPU overdrive problem is internal to Logic and not your machine... if you look at your system activity monitor (UTILITIES FOLDER) you will see your processer sitting idle while these problems occur. Logic X is great but this is the one tiny thing that they need to address.

Logic Pro X ocassional cpu spikes ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.