Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore trackpad functioning & recognition in System Preference post Maverick install?

I have just installed Mavericks on my iMac and the trackpad won't right click and it only scrolls with the cursor on the bar. Worse: in System Preferences, when I click on the trackpad, it says there is not one. Solutions, any one? How to restore trackpad?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 27-inch Mid 2010 2.93 Ghz Intel i7

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 1:38 AM

3 replies

Jan 23, 2014 5:15 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you. I had already replaced the batteries and tried a reboot. However, as I was reading about other issues in other forums, I saw a pattern that suggested a reboot was insufficient, that it needed to be a complete shutdown. So, that is what I just did and it seemed to restore the trackpad in System Preferences. Also, the scrolling has pretty much returned, though in the mail program (unlike the browsers I've tested and unlike Word), it still insists on scrolling the opposite way from everything else.

I appreciate your suggested solution and am guessing it would work.

How to restore trackpad functioning & recognition in System Preference post Maverick install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.