Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My tv only shows computer and settings

My apple tv wont work. It only shows the settings and Computer tabs.

It says it's connected to the network but I never had to enter the network password which makes me think that is the problem. Any ideas?

Apple TV

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2014 6:26 PM

I've run into this problem more than a few times (Apple TV 3rd generation) whenever I did a software update. Tried resetting router, restart, manual network settings, factory restore, etc., to no avail.

The fix for me was to use bluetooth setup from an iPad or iPhone:

On Apple TV go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings

After a few minutes, the language choice screen will show up on Apple TV

On iPad/iPhone go to Settings -> Bluetooth and let it discover the Apple TV (for me I had to put my iPhone fairly close to the Apple TV)

Once discovered, you'll be prompted for iTunes username/password and the send diagnostic preference on iPad/iPhone

Wifi settings on iPad/iPhone will automatically be copied over to AppleTV

Once this bluetooth setup is complete everything worked for me again!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2014 6:26 PM in response to kealyb

I've run into this problem more than a few times (Apple TV 3rd generation) whenever I did a software update. Tried resetting router, restart, manual network settings, factory restore, etc., to no avail.

The fix for me was to use bluetooth setup from an iPad or iPhone:

On Apple TV go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings

After a few minutes, the language choice screen will show up on Apple TV

On iPad/iPhone go to Settings -> Bluetooth and let it discover the Apple TV (for me I had to put my iPhone fairly close to the Apple TV)

Once discovered, you'll be prompted for iTunes username/password and the send diagnostic preference on iPad/iPhone

Wifi settings on iPad/iPhone will automatically be copied over to AppleTV

Once this bluetooth setup is complete everything worked for me again!

Jan 23, 2014 2:57 AM in response to kealyb

Welcome to the Apple Community Kealy.

It may or may not be connected to the network, but it isn't connected to the internet.

What address does it have, did you notice anything else peculiar when setting it up.

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  2. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  3. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  4. Reset the Apple TV (Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings)
  5. Restore the Apple TV (Settings > General > Reset > Restore)

Mar 26, 2014 11:38 AM in response to kealyb

Kealy,

I had the same issues, but this KB Article helped me:

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4546

In short: Configure your ATV network settings mannualy, do a restart and everything works as promised.

It worked for me.

My problems came from Netflix b.t.w.

Somehow this subscription messes up your ATV settings. Strange ...

My tv only shows computer and settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.