Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV 3th gen and volume difference

Yesterday i've completed the setup of my brand new ATV on my Home Theater station. I've connected the ATV directly via HDMI to the Sintoamplifier Maratz 7005.

Everything works as expected, ok for both sound and video signals, but i've found a substantial difference in listening to music when using as output device the ATV and and the Marantz.

From itunes (on my MacbookPro) i stream a song via Airplay to the AppleTV and my volume on the Marantz is set to a value (for example) of 10. If i change the output Airplay device directly to Marantz (compatible to AirPlay protocol, so is able to reproduce audio directly from an itunes library) and leave untouched the Marantz volume level, i can clearly hear the difference in output volume.

Why such kind of difference? Is there a way to fix (since with the AppleTV remote is no more possible to adjust the output volume) ?

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 3:09 AM

3 replies

Jan 23, 2014 12:38 PM in response to Brian Cook4

Tried, but nothing.

What i've found is pretty much interesting:

1) from my iphone i share audio directly to my Marantz (compatible with AirPlay protocol) and from its menu i look at the kind of signal it has in input i see PCM 44.1kHz

2) from my iPhone i share audio to AppleTV (connected to Marantz via HDMI) and from Marantz menu i look at the kind of signal that arrive from AppleTV i see PCM 48kHz format 2/0/.0

Now, i thought that indipendently on the output device, the audio format should be the same, but so it doesn't seems.

Anyway, i experience much better audio in the former method than the latter (evenif the second one, apparentely, has got a better quality).

I'm confused!

AppleTV 3th gen and volume difference

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.