Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New imac 27(Intel based,bought 2013) slow wifi connection with my Verizon fios actiontec router. All other wireless devices in the house(ipad 3gen,MacBook Air ,hp laptop) have a much faster connection. Should I change router settings to G only,etc

New imac 27(Intel based,bought 2013) slow wifi connection with my Verizon fios actiontec router. All other wireless devices in the house(ipad 3gen,MacBook Air ,hp laptop) have a much faster connection. Should I change router settings to G only,switch channel from auto to maybe 6,channel width to 20mhz? Already changed security settings to WPA2. Currently router is running in mixed b and g mode.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 5:36 AM

2 replies

Jan 23, 2014 6:45 AM in response to Zubastik1

If you have one computer running on G they will all run on G. All ROUTERS are backward compatible, in otherwords if you have a group of computers and all of them are N compatible and one or two are G They will all work but the N computers will run at N and those that are G will run at G speed not N.

It can get confusing but really it is simple. The newest is 802.11 AC and ic used with the newest Mac Computers made available in November 2013. So if you have the newest Airport Extreme that is 802.11ac and the newest computers that are AC compliant your speed will be 5 times faster than anything on the market right now.

New imac 27(Intel based,bought 2013) slow wifi connection with my Verizon fios actiontec router. All other wireless devices in the house(ipad 3gen,MacBook Air ,hp laptop) have a much faster connection. Should I change router settings to G only,etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.