Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (mid-2010) Internal USB HUB freezes/locks up

MacBook Pro (mid-2010) wilth the latest firmware, etc.

OS X 10.9.1

USB KVM to share keyboard and mouse with another computer

This has been working flawlessly until I upgraded to 10.9.1

The KVM uses the Scroll Lock key to toggle the input between the two computers

I switch back and forth many times a day.

Almost once a day now, all my input to my MBP will lock up when switching the KVM over.

The MBP track pad, keyboard, blue tooth Magic Mouse, KVM mouse and keyboard all become unresponsive.

I am assuming that the interal keyboard/track pad/blue tooth transceiver are all tied to an internal USB HUB.

The MBP is up and running and I can ssh into it. The only error message in the log is that the mouse device coming from the KVM is busy and it will be disabled. I have tried to close the lid for several minutes and then re-open, but it does not resolve the issue. I have tried connecting another USB mouse/keyboard during this time and it will not work. I have tried kill -HUP on the usbd and USBAgent processes. Everything stays unresponsive. The only way to resolve this condition is to reboot the MBP. Note: the KVM works find on the other computer when I switch it back and forth regardless of the state of the MBP.

I am suspecting that when this happens it is some how disabling the internal USB HUB, which if all the other devices are connected through it, nothing no longer works (but maybe I am crazy with that thought). Anyone have any insight? Is there a way to reset the internal HUB short of a reboot?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 6:31 AM

9 replies

May 22, 2014 7:51 AM in response to ckr-ok

So after much fussing around, it appears (for me at least) that if I am not moving the mouse when I switch between the two, everything works fine. I have had a habit of "shaking" the mouse (like trying to wake up from a sleep/screen saver) as the KVM was switching.

I guess that is why I was getting the "busy device" message, as it was switching it found that the device was busy (busy because I was shaking it). However, OS X should be able to recover or provide the ability to reset the internal USB hub. So this is not a solution, but it is a better definition of the problem and maybe how to avoid it (be sure your USB device is not busy transmitting when switching).

One other note, I have hardware growler installed. So when I switch, I wait for the message that the USB device has connected before using the mouse or keyboard.

Jul 11, 2014 2:44 PM in response to ckr-ok

I can confirm that this is the only explanation that makes sense. I've tried multiple keyboards + multiple KVMs with my 2012 MBP. The ones with device emulation (I'm using an ioGear) seem to work best, but even they encounter the problem. It would be nice to see this fixed. It shouldn't lock out every device.

Aug 11, 2014 2:59 PM in response to Zedley

I'm seeing the same problem with a 2010 Mac Mini with IOGear KVM and MS wireless mouse. This setup worked flawlessly for years on Snow Leopard but started hanging soon after the Mavericks upgrade. I'm running 10.9.4, currently the latest release. The system usually hangs after a KVM keyboard switch from Windows on the other set of KVM cables back to the Mac Mini. ssh into OSX works fine but a shutdown hangs indefinitely. top showed no processes spinning. The 1st console message after the hang was:

8/6/14 8:49:21.000 PM kernel[0] USBF: 1317978.201 AppleUSBHubPort: Port 2 of Hub at 0x6200000 about to terminate a busy device (Microsoft® 2.4GHz Transceiver v7.0) after waiting 10 seconds

There were no other messages for hours before this. I'm using VM Fusion but I think it hung once without it running. The Windows 7 side of the KVM works fine.

Aug 22, 2014 6:05 AM in response to ckr-ok

Good news, bad news I guess. At least I am not the only that is seeing this behavior.

It is really silly that this happens and that the only way to resolve it is to reboot. Makes me angry every time I forget to leave the mouse alone when switching (some habits are hard to break - like being impatient and shaking the mouse).

Thanks all for confirming my sanity. 😁

Aug 23, 2014 12:07 PM in response to ckr-ok

Actually I was incorrect when I said it didn't happen on Snow Leopard. It did, but you were able to recover from it easily by toggling the KVM switch (double scroll lock hits on my IOGear) a few times between the PC and the Mac Mini. This behavior changed when I upgraded to Mavericks and now the only solution is to reboot. I swapped in a spare identical IOGear KVM and upgraded to 10.9.4. This has seemed to reduce the frequency of hangs but it still happens.

Aug 28, 2014 4:55 AM in response to sine32

So another update to this problem....

My mouse (Microsoft) bit the dust the other day. I replaced it with a Logitech M705 mouse. I have not experienced this issue since the installation. In fact I have even tried to reproduce the lock up as I have done in the past with the Microsoft mouse, There is usually a small delay and then everything works as it should.

So now it appears that it might be the combination of the Microsoft USB radio and OS X not playing well with each other.

Regardless OS X should provide the ability to reset the internal USB hub.

MacBook Pro (mid-2010) Internal USB HUB freezes/locks up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.