Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

beach balls on vm fusion and chrome

OK,

This is about the worst IT problem I have ever had. And I am done with Apple after six years.

In October, I replaced my existing HDD in my mid 2010 MBP with an SSD from Samsumg. Since then, the system has been unstable, but the two biggest problems are that Chrome never launces (never, ever had an issue with it before) and VMWARE FUSION keeps beachballing. Sometimes the apps will eventually load, after about ten to twenty minutes. Other problems - logging out nearly always freezes and requires a reboot, and a few weeks ago all the icons in the dock got corrupted.

Look , I'm not here to ask for help. I've read the Apple forums and know better than that - nearly every 'expert' on here just trots out the same tired advice ad nauseum. No, I am here to see if anyone else has the problem, because my suspicion is that Apple are shipping equipment which is ripe for a class action - in the form of it's cloud services.

I have replaced the hard disk twice now (both new drives), I have reset the NVRAM and PRAM and SMC countless times, I have downloaded Chromium instead of Chrome (same issues), I have upgraded and replaced my version of vmware, I have restored from Time Capsule, I have reinstalled OSX from the App store (twice) and from bootable media (twice). I have spent probably two days of my adult life trying to remedy this online. (Hence the hate)

Both disks have never indicated any error at all. They are pristine and functional.

The only thing that worked was create another account and log in with that after a weeks worth of a barely functioning system (NB I was doing some Windows work on a contract at the time, and this issue basically destroyed my reputation with a blue chip client because I couldnt complete the work I set out to do for them in the end. All my test VMs were worthless without a hypervisor - Fusion was absolute toast.)

So...

Here's what it is...

Apple shipped Cloud computing services three years ago. The man who shipped them was sacked. Because they did not work. At all. What they also did, besides not working, was tie themselves into the OS and fool with that - putting in helpers, changing permissions - On both disks, the one other constant has been that (seemingly random - but ALWAYS, ALWAYS - I cannot stress this enough... ALLLLWWWWAAAAYYYYSSSS iApples own software - itunes, ibooks. The rest of the software and permissons are perfect.

This is something to do with the Apple ID authentication and Cloud helpers built into the OS surely? How can there be any other rational explanation for the problem to chase me across disk drives like this? I set up OSX on the system, using my Apple ID, and it goes mad. The problems disappear if I create another account.So, my main account, with itunes, my apps, all my music, is killing this machine.

Not looking for an answer. Dont even feel better. But I am never, ever setting foot in an Apple store again.

macbook pro 15 inch 2.4 Ghz 4 Gig, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 7:10 AM

1 reply

beach balls on vm fusion and chrome

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.