Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my ipad is showing a charge icon when plugged in but is not charging and stays on red. i have tried different charging options but still the same?does this mean the battery needs replacing or is it the connection?

my ipad is showing a charge icon when plugged in but is not charging and stays on red despite trying different chargers. Does this mean it needs a new battery?

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 10:16 AM

There are not too many reasons that an iPad will not charge.

1. Bad outlet. Try a different one.

2. Bad charger. You've ride a different charger plugged into a known good wall outlet, right?

3. Bad cable. Be sure you are using a good name brand cable. Try an alternate cable.

4. Dirt or fuzz in the charger port on the iPad. Check and carefully clean I necessary.

5. Software problem. First thing to try is to reset your device. Press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Let go of the buttons and let the device restart.

6. Hardware failure. Make an appointment at an Apple Store to have your device examined by a technician. Or contact Apple Support.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2014 10:16 AM in response to linsaslew

There are not too many reasons that an iPad will not charge.

1. Bad outlet. Try a different one.

2. Bad charger. You've ride a different charger plugged into a known good wall outlet, right?

3. Bad cable. Be sure you are using a good name brand cable. Try an alternate cable.

4. Dirt or fuzz in the charger port on the iPad. Check and carefully clean I necessary.

5. Software problem. First thing to try is to reset your device. Press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Let go of the buttons and let the device restart.

6. Hardware failure. Make an appointment at an Apple Store to have your device examined by a technician. Or contact Apple Support.

Jan 23, 2014 9:51 AM in response to linsaslew

could be either.

Basic trouble shooting is to try a reboot (hold down the sleep and home buttons until you see the silver apple and it reboots), then swap out the charger, cable and outlet if you can. To rule out or confirm any one of those as the issue.

you also want to make sure that you're using an iPad charger. iPhone chargers won't work because they are less powerful (they do charge but it registers as not charging since it's too low powered)

If you go through all that and it still won't hold a charge then it could be the battery. So you may want to make an appointment at your local apple store and have them check it out.

my ipad is showing a charge icon when plugged in but is not charging and stays on red. i have tried different charging options but still the same?does this mean the battery needs replacing or is it the connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.