Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you make a video expand to full screen in keynote?

I have a slide with 2 images and a video... when clicking on the video I would like it to expand to full screen and play then shrink back into place when finished. Is this possible, and how??

thanks.

keynote-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), new version of keynote

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 7:40 AM

15 replies

Nov 17, 2016 4:23 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Dear Gary,

I didn't mean to attack Keynote, which I love. It was a frustration rant because including an option 'play video full screen' on the video formatting doesn't seem so complicated to me, and would've avoided me a lot of trouble. Hope Apple takes this comment and improves that little glitch 😉

Now regarding the questions.... Perhaps i didn't explain myself properly.

1. I can obviously bring that 1 video to front, but when i set the animation to expand any of the other videos on 'layers' 2, 3 and 4, the videos on the upper layers will always be in front of the one playing.... because i want each video to expand and play full screen. Can that be done on a single slide?

2. The problem placing videos in different windows is that the presso will now have to include navigation buttons to change slides, and this is something I would like to avoid. How can I have actions on the images that will lead to the video slide, but when clicking elsewhere keep the usual 'next slide' action? Is it possible?

Thank you

Clara

Sep 28, 2017 8:53 AM in response to ldoe

I'm having that same problem. I'm transitioning from Powerpoint—which chokes, crashes, and makes files unusable when they get too big—and I have to say, this is one thing Powerpoint has over Keynote. The suggested fixes just don't work in the version I have. When I click on the movie in play mode, all that happens is the poster frame expands to full screen and the movie doesn't play. Either I am missing something or this is a bug.

Keith

Jan 25, 2014 7:47 AM in response to ldoe

Yup, 'Scale' is your solution here. The only problem is that if you are starting with the video anywhere but exactly centred on the slide, when you scale it up, it will fall off the screen somewhere.

Using 1280x720 slides, I start with a 1280 wide video, then reduce it to 640, so that the 'Scale' can take it up to 200% and it will fill the screen. If the video is over to the side, or up at the top of the slide, you will need to use the 'Move' build to get it into the right spot so it can fill the screen - you can do the Move and Scale simultaneously over 2-3 seconds, which makes the effect look nice and clean.

Then when the video is finished, you can Scale it back down to it's initial size, applying the reverse of the Move animation if required. Overall, a lovely effect, which give a nice 'evening news' look to the quality of your presentation.

Jul 23, 2014 2:27 AM in response to marvsat

BEST SOLUTION

You misunderstand what the original question asks, it was to find a way to add an effect to a video.

Changing the slide size has nothing to do with creating an effect. Altering the slide size will change the predetermined presentation size, change the resolution, change the format for the existing presentation and change the positioning of all existing objets.

Nov 17, 2016 2:25 AM in response to ldoe

But if I have more than one video on the same slide when i make it expand it doesn't go over the other elements, so it's really troublesome to have to insert another slide just with the video, link to it and back...Does anyone have another sollution?

keynote is proving quite limited in the customisation of transitions and animations when compared to ppt which it, on the other hand, imparred when it comes to design. Grrrrrrr

Nov 17, 2016 4:03 AM in response to claracdt

I have more than one video on the same slide when i make it expand it doesn't go over the other elements,

You have not set the layering correctly; right click on that video on the slide and select Bring to Front

so it's really troublesome to have to insert another slide just with the video, link to it and back...

If thats what you want to do, whats wrong with that, its simple to do and simple to control?

Decide on what you want Keynote to do then find out how Keynote can achieve it.

keynote is proving quite limited in the customisation of transitions and animations

You have a lack of knowledge of what Keynote is capable of and how it can be done.

If you have a specific situation, let us know in detail and Im sure we can help.

Nov 20, 2016 8:38 AM in response to claracdt

including an option 'play video full screen' on the video formatting doesn't seem so complicated to me

Including an option is easy, making it work and not interfere with other features can be extremely difficult.

Your starting point should be as follows:

Open Keynote and set the slide size to match the pixel dimension of the largest pixel size of video file:

• (Inspector > Document > Document
  • click the Slide Size drop down menu and enter the required values)
  • drag and drop the video file from a Finder window on to the Navigator

(the Navigator is the panel on the left hand side of the slide canvas)

If you use files that have different pixel dimensions you will have to choose the best slide size to suit

when i set the animation to expand any of the other videos on 'layers' 2, 3 and 4, the videos on the upper layers will always be in front of the one playing

• place the videos on the slide in the order you want them to appear
  • select all the video files
  • Inspector > Animate > Build In > Add an Effect > Scale
  • position and scale the videos on the slide

The problem placing videos in different windows is that the presso will now have to include navigation buttons to change slides,

If the slides with video are ordered one after the other no other buttons required

If you want to navigate to a specific slide, right click the image on the slide, select Add Link thenselect the slide number

how do you make a video expand to full screen in keynote?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.