Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spreadsheets will not open with update... or without...

I went to open a spreadsheet I made about two months ago, it said it needed to be opened with the newest version of Numbers. I came here, installed the latest version of Numbers, and it still has the same error message. What the frick? Why can’t it open older files, or newer files apparently…

There seems to be SERIOUS compatibility issues. I do not have Excel, so this is my only option. Apple, please fix this. I loved this program, but now its more of a hassle than anything.

Numbers 3.0.1-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 7:53 AM

6 replies

Jan 23, 2014 9:35 AM in response to rachelndavis

Rachel,

If you have, as you say, installed the latest version of Numbers, it will be in your Applications folder. You may not be aware that, unless you deleted it, the old version is still on your Mac, in an iWork '09 subfolder within Applications.

I'm guessing you are inadvertently trying to open your new document(s) with the old version. (Any alias you had on your Dock would still point to the old version).

Try opening the version that is in the Applications folder and then opening your document with File > Open.

SG

Jan 23, 2014 4:17 PM in response to SGIII

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

These two screen shots were taken one after another (the error message first, then the screenshot from the app store).

I installed the update from the App store, I went to the launch pad, where after it was installed, it was all sparkly (like literally so I'm fairly certain that it was the right one.) I went to file > open > the spreadsheet that I wanted, and I got the same error message.

This was before my initial message, I apologize if the original post was not clear, I didn't know what tags I was clicking, to be honest, I posted orignally from my phone.

Oddly enough, I still get the error message, and if I turn off my computer and turn it on, then it still wants me to update the software. I've done the same thing, downloading and installing the update, clicking the NEW icon that is in the apps folder, not on my dock, and I get the same loop. Immediately after that, if I go to the app store, it says that I have downloaded the most recent version, but if I restart my computer, it says I haven't. Again, this has happened three times.

I am aware that when I update, that the original doesn't go away. But it seems that the download doesn't work either. Perhaps this is an issue only with the app store?

any

Jan 23, 2014 9:13 PM in response to SGIII

The installation just happened, like that screenshot was taken seconds before I posted (so I did just install the program from the App store, and it is 3.1). I don't know what's wrong, because I have been able to open other spreadsheets with the program, but I cannot open this specific one.

Thank you for your help, but there may be something wrong with the file itself.

Jan 24, 2014 2:21 AM in response to rachelndavis

there may be something wrong with the file itself.

If you are using Time Machine and you have been storing that document in iCloud, you can try this: in Finder hold down the option key and Go > Library > Mobile Documents > com~apple~Numbers. Then go back in time on that folder and try to restore the document that's giving you trouble.

If you have it somewhere else (i.e.not in iCloud) you might try the same procedure there.

SG

Spreadsheets will not open with update... or without...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.