Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2009 mac pro can't install any new os's - tried multiple drives

Ok guys here's where i'm at.

I was running a 2009 mac pro with 10.6.8

I downloaded and ran mavericks but after it restarted it just hung on the no entry sign over night.

So i did a restore and that worked.

I repaired permissions, and tried via a usb thumb drive no luck.

I restarted using my partners osx 10.6 mbp dvd and erased my mac pro drive and reformatted making sure it was guid partitioned and journaled etc.

Still no luck.

Even stranger when i try to install from external usb drive the installer doesnt see the hdd but if i use the dvd it says it cannot install but does see the hdd and lets me do a restore.

So at this point im sure some of you will be saying the hdd is dead.

But on each restore it was fine.

AND

so then i bought a samsung evo 840 and stuck that in using an icey box and just thought i'd install mavericks then copy over some files etc from my back up.

BUT i get the same issue. The usb installer cannot see the new ssd, but if boot from the dvd i can see it and restore the time machine backup to it.

Any suggestions at all?

Thanks

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 8:20 AM

19 replies

Jan 23, 2014 8:32 AM in response to AggyPeters

You cannot install from a DVD that "shipped in the box" with a different model Mac -- it does not contain "Drivers for every model Mac" and may not even boot from the DVD.

Prohibitory sign at Startup means the Installation got messed up. For better success installing Mavericks, run Disk Utility (Repair Disk) function FIRST, or use Safe mode (which checks your Boot Drive as it starts up, then re-boot into regular mode (which will take a minute longer than usual for the first restart). Then Install.

It is possible that the image you have on the thumb drive is messed up. I suggest you re-download and replace the thumb drive contents with the new download. Then install directly from the download. If that works, your USB image is more likely to be good.

For better luck with the SSD, make sure you use Disk Utility to erase it first, and check for GUID partition table and one Mac OS Extended, journaled Volume before you start trying to Install on it.

Jan 23, 2014 8:36 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hey

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yeah i know the dvd cant install but dont understand why when booting from the usb i can see the hdd and restore but if i boot from the usb i cannot?

I have repaired permissions and tried a fresh download and install and still get the hang on the restart. on both the original hdd and the new ssd

I have tried erasing the ssd with utility, making sure its guid partiotioned and hournaled and no luck.

I can however retsore my back up to both the original drive and the ssd.

Jan 23, 2014 8:44 AM in response to AggyPeters

I have repaired permissions

The "Heavy Lifting" in Disk Utility is in (Repair Disk). Repair Permissions is only needed when Mac Applications will not launch -- and does not help ANY other problem.

--------

If the image on the USB cannot see the full range of drives that should be available, the image on the USB has a problem.

--------

There is one more extremly obscure problem some users have encountered with Mavericks -- if they have upgraded their WiFi card after the Mac Pro shipped. ¿ Have you done that? Its a difficult job, you would remember if you had done it.

Jan 23, 2014 8:54 AM in response to AggyPeters

I know there have been some similar reports or stories about installing OS X.

At one time 2009 4,1 had trouble with Mountain Lion also.

Some models had trouble due to a user installed Apple wifi / bluetooth module.

Sometimes NVRAM is to blame and an SMC Reset AND zap PRAM/NVRAM (from cold boots).

This is a good tutorial, updated, while there are various other How To's around since Lion that are all basic same steps.

How to make your own bootable OS X 10.9 Mavericks USB install drive

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/how-to-make-your-own-bootable-os-x-10-9-mav ericks-usb-install-drive/

it’s possible to create a local USB installer for Mavericks. The bad news is that it wasn’t as simple as it was before—Apple has changed the way the installer works, and making an install disk manually is more difficult than it used to be. Before we get started, here’s what you’ll need:

An 8GB or larger USB flash drive, or an 8GB or larger partition on some other kind of external drive

The OS X 10.9 Mavericks installer from the Mac App Store in your Applications folder. The installer will delete itself when you install the operating system, but it can be re-downloaded if necessary.

The latest beta of the Lion Diskmaker app, available here (as of this writing, version 3 beta 3 is the most recent). This app is free to download, but the creator accepts donations if you want to support his efforts.

An administrator account on the Mac you're using to create the disk.

The easy way

Lion Diskmaker remains the easiest, most user-friendly way to get this done.

Jan 23, 2014 11:00 AM in response to AggyPeters

Yes the "not able to see SSD" is one of the issues, rare and only a couple reports of users running into this issue, but it is at least not the first time and only you.

bought a samsung evo 840 and stuck that in using an icey box and just thought i'd install mavericks then copy over some files etc from my back up.

THAT has happened with the "wrong" length Icy Dock.

What I had one person do was put the Mac on its side (mine has been that way for most of its 7+ yrs) and manually put the SSD directly into the SATA drive bay sans any adapter or drive sled. It should show up and it will fit snugly in there.

Next we just need to see what Icy D you used and buy a new one. Where did you buy yours? The drive bays in 2009 use a different length sled than the older Mac Pro had. Don't know if that affects Icy Dock but someone should chime in on that.

So this one, I have four of 'em

http://www.amazon.com/Icy-Dock-EZConvert-2-5-Inch-Converter/dp/B002Z2QDNE/

Jan 24, 2014 7:20 AM in response to The hatter

Yes i have the same icey box and i do not think that is the issue.

To clarify.

Before installing the SSD i could not install mavericks on the existing HDD, it would just hang on the no entry sign after the first restart.

I could however restore this HDD to my prveious 10.6.8 osx

Removing the HDD and changing to the SSD in the icey box has resulted in the exact same issue. I cannot install mavericks or any new os but can restore to my back up and have it running perfecting on the SSD.

Tried booting in safe mode but will not boot. 😟

Jan 24, 2014 9:46 AM in response to AggyPeters

It is, but I am glad you finally got to pulling the card.

So your final leg in this journey is.... home free and clear and you have Mavericks on your SSD now working properly I take it?

When replacinig or changing hardware, PCIe cards, wifi, always a good idea to reset SMC and ZAP PRAM - it use to be a 100% must on the older G5 PowerMacs as they did not refresh their Open Firmware and NVRAM and even making small changes, like swapping hard drive, would still think the old hdd was there.

This is one of the most obscure bugs I can recall though. And it is a 2009 issue (the 2008s also have their own personality though).

2009 mac pro can't install any new os's - tried multiple drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.