Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 27" iMac: Can I use it as a monitor for my HDMI PC w/ adapter?

I own a 27" 2011 iMac with i5 3.1 GHz intel processor and 8 GB of RAM. I've been thinking of getting a PC and don't want to drop $200+ on a decent monitor when i could just use a glorious 27" 1440p screen in front of me now. i know there's adapters for Thunderbolt to HDMI, but will it work for having my iMac as a display for my PC (Not a dual moniter setup, just my iMac being one monitor)? Would love to know a way this could be possible, thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 8:48 AM

In the last I've said no, but this document seems somewhat ambiguous http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924#12

#4 indicates that you need two macs while #12 indicates that with the proper adapter and a compliant signal it is possible.

8 replies

Jan 23, 2014 10:14 AM in response to Amaxter

Mini display and thunderbolt use the same port configuration, so a mini display cable works in a thunderbolt port.

#4. What are the requirements for TDM?

A Mac notebook or desktop with a Mini DisplayPort or ThunderBolt connection

A ThunderBolt or Mini DisplayPort cable

A supported iMac with OS X 10.6.1 or later. The table below shows iMac computers that support TDM, the required cables, and the port of the computer to which you are connecting the iMac.

iMac Model

Cable Supported

Port on Source Computer

iMac (27-inch Late 2009)

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort

Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010)

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort

Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)

Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)

Thunderbolt

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012)

Thunderbolt

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

Thunderbolt

#12 Can I use the iMac in TDM as a display for my gaming console, DVD player, or other device?

The Mini DisplayPort port on a supported iMac can receive DisplayPort compliant video and audio signals. Converters not made by Apple may provide options to convert other electrical, video, and audio protocols to Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt compliant signals.

And finally from the Q&A section of the adapter I posted

Could I plug My Xbox Or Ps3 And Have It Work On The Imac?

Asked by Joao P from Marlborough Apr 8, 2013 Flag as inappropriate

Answer now

1 Answer

Similar Questions

Answer

Yes, you can

also you can use a bridge connection to use it for your internet

just google

bridge connection for my xbox to my mac and watch one of the videos it saved me my troubles

Answered by Jonathan A from Highlands Ranch Jul 27, 2013 Flag as inappropriate

2011 27" iMac: Can I use it as a monitor for my HDMI PC w/ adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.