7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2014 12:30 PM by pdroth
LiquidAg Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having major issues with the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" section of settings (in iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4).  My calendars stopped syncing on January 3, 2014.  I have them set up as a Gmail account (under "Mail, Contacts, Calendars").  It was working beautifully until January 3rd.  I also have my contacts synced using a CardDAV account.  It seems to have stopped syncing around the same time.  I have scoured the Internet, looking for answers or solutions, and none of them have worked for me.  The closest thing I can find (that seems like it fits my situation) is to delete these accounts, and set up a new account.

Unfortunately, my phone will not let me delete or edit these accounts.  I can access the settings and advanced settings for both, and I can make changes, but the phone doesn't seem to save anything that I change.  More frustratingly, if I try to delete either account, the phone warns me that I will be deleting my contacts or calendars from the phone (which is fine; I have them backed up); but when I accept this warning, the phone just gets stuck with a giant message saying "Deleting..." with the spinning "busy" symbol.  It just stays like that until I hit the home button, and then the account is never deleted.

Is anyone else having this problem?  Does anyone know of another way to delete one of these accounts?  I just want to start over from scratch and set up new syncing accounts to see if that works.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4
  • 1. Re: Why can't I delete or change my Accounts under "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" in Settings?
    pdroth Level 5 Level 5 (5,070 points)

Depending on how much data is encompassed in your accounts, the deletion can take a while.    I would let the phone finish doing that and NOT hit the Home button.

But aside from that, if I were you, I'd think about restoring the phone as new and starting over again fresh.   You might have something corrupted in your profile.    You will lose all of your settings, etc but it would settle if the problem is with your device or your backup profile.

• 2. Re: Why can't I delete or change my Accounts under "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" in Settings?

What is "a while", though?  How long should I wait before I give up?  I've waited up to 30 minutes, and that seems a little ridiculous for a list of 180 contacts, or so.

I appreciate the suggestions, and I've thought about a total reset.  But I REALLY don't want to lose all my settings and apps, and start over from scratch.  I stuck with iPhone because I could transfer all my stuff to my new phone whenever I upgraded.  This would kinda defeat the purpose.  However, I'll keep it in mind as a last resort.  It would be extremely frustrating if I tried that and it didn't even fix my syncing problem.

• 3. Re: Why can't I delete or change my Accounts under "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" in Settings?

How about just disabling the calendar in gmail, then re-enable and see if it syncs?

There's a reason it just suddenly stopped working..  Did you happen to enable 2-way authenticaion on your google account?    Log in and turn that off if is set that way.

• 4. Re: Why can't I delete or change my Accounts under "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" in Settings?

I've tried disabling the calendar in Gmail, and that didn't work.  The iPhone won't even sync enough to remove the calendar from the list. 

I agree; there must be a reason that it stopped working.  The fact that both my calendar AND contacts stopped syncing at the same time tells me that Apple or Google made some minor change that caused it to stop working.  I haven't made any changes to my accounts or settings that would prompt something like this.  And 2-step verification is disabled on my google account.  I've never activated it.

• 5. Re: Why can't I delete or change my Accounts under "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" in Settings?

FYI - It also gets stuck if I try to turn "On" or "Off" anything in either account (using the little slider switches on the right side).  It brings up a message saying, for example, "Turning Off Calendars..." and just stays that way.

I have a support call scheduled with Apple, so I'll update with any new info after the call.

• 6. Re: Why can't I delete or change my Accounts under "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" in Settings?

I just got off the phone with Apple Support.  Fantastic service!  I love Apple.

Okay, this is what they had me do, and it fixed all of my issues:

• Go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings
      • This deletes all of your Wi-Fi settings and passwords, among other things, apparently.
    • The phone thinks for a while, and then restarts.
    • Go to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> and sign into your Wi-Fi network, as usual
    • That's IT!!

After that, I was able to delete accounts freely, set up a new account, change the options I wanted, and now everything works beautifully.

It's such a simple fix, and I wish I had thought of it on my own, but I never would've thought that all of these problems were caused by a need to flush out the network settings.  Anyway, I hope this might help anyone else who runs into the same problem.  Thanks for your help, pdroth.

• 7. Re: Why can't I delete or change my Accounts under "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" in Settings?

good to know... glad you fixed it.