Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Creating & Playing a Widescreen DVD

264 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2006 8:57 AM by Dave Althoff RSS
davidw Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 31, 2006 5:06 PM
I ripped a DVD in widescreen format then burned it to a DVD using iDVD 5.

The project works fine in when tested in iDVD. However, when I play the created DVD on my DVD player and TV, it will only play back in 4:3 format. The picture is terribly distorted.

WHat am I doing wrong?
iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.3)
  • Bengt Wärleby Level 6 Level 6 (18,950 points)
    Aug 1, 2006 12:14 AM (in response to davidw)
    Hi David

My guess is that iDVD 5 don't support HD (16x9) but may be iDVD HD (6).

Yours Bengt W
    G3/G4 Blue white,PBG4,dG5, Mac OS X (10.3.9), QT6.5.2
  • Dave Althoff Level 4 Level 4 (1,120 points)
    Aug 1, 2006 8:57 AM (in response to davidw)
    iDVD 5 supports widescreen, and if you get "Widescreen Preview" when you preview the project in iDVD, you're halfway there.

When you burn the project in iDVD 5, you end up with a DVD that plays just fine in Apple's DVD player, but when you try to play it on a set-top DVD player, the image gets squashed. This is assuming that all the DVD player and TV settings are appropriate. Usually this happens when you have a 4:3 TV connected to a DVD player that knows you have a 4:3 TV and therefore should letterbox the video for you.

The problem is one bit on the disc that Apple sets in an unexpected way. I have a web page that describes the problem and gives three different ways to fix it. The easiest is to create a disc image with iDVD, use Daniel Rogers' perl script to fix it, then burn the fixed image with Disk Utility. Instructions and links are on my page:
    http://capital2.capital.edu/admin-staff/dalthoff/widescreen.html

This issue was supposedly fixed in iDVD 6.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
    1000 MHz dual G4 (MDD 'leaf blower'); 12" PB G4 1500 MHz, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.