Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme, USB Printer, Airport Express, Windows PC

I set up a new Airport Extreme Base Station after my old Linksys router bought the farm. I use an Airport Express to extend the range of the network.

I have a printer connected to Extreme by the USB port and I am trying to get it to work with the Windows PC's that I have on the network.

I followed the following directions:

To use a USB printer with your AirPort base station:
Before you connect the printer to the base station, connect it to a computer and print a test page.
Connect the printer to the USB port on the base station.
To set up computers to use the printer:

Choose “Printers and Faxes” from the Start menu.
Click Add Printer and then follow the onscreen instructions.
Select “Local printer attached to this computer” and deselect “Automatically detect and install my plug and play printer.”
In the “Select the Printer Port” screen, click “Create a new port” and choose Standard TCP/IP Port from the pop-up menu.
Click Next and follow the onscreen instructions for the Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard.
In “Printer Name or IP Address,” enter 10.0.1.1. “IP_10.0.1.1” is generated as the port name. If you assigned a different address to your base station, use it instead. The port name generated will match the address you enter.
Select Standard for Device Type and choose your printer in the list.

I couldn't select my printer (a Brother HL-5040) from the Device Type. I tried Apple Network Printer and both Brother Print Server options, but it won't print. The two macs in the house print to it fine.

This is the opposite situation I had from before, when the Windows computers could print to the printer via a print server but not the macs.

Help!

Pentium 4, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Jul 31, 2006 4:59 PM

2 replies

Airport Extreme, USB Printer, Airport Express, Windows PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.