Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enhanced dictation becoming clumsy.

I can't speak for plain old dictation (like that in Mountain Lion) but the enhanced dictation available in Mavericks has forgotten things that dictation in Mountain lion knew well.

For example, Mountain Lion knew that the spoken phrase, "iCloud" meant Apple's suite of cloud-based Apps and storage locations.

Next, Mavericks Dictation sometimes won't correctly execute the "New paragraph" command. It's clearly trying, two spaces appear after the last dictated text but it fails inconsistently and it does not appear to be app specific.

Mavericks Dictation likes to place Capital letters on words in the middle of sentences ( in the case of the capital C on the previous instance of the word, "capital", dictation correctly interpreted an unintentional command to capitalize the word "Capital") But, oftentimes, Dictation will simply throw a capital if you've paused speaking for a short period of time or, if you move the cursor to a point, earlier in the paragraph to make a correction, and then move it back.

Parentheses are not provided the requisite space before or sometimes after. Also, there are no advanced features like "scratch that", a tool that lets other dictation software allow you to strike the previously dictated word, sentence or entire paragraph. This would be a handy addition to Apple's "Enhanced" Dictation.

Below are these same four paragraphs. They were dictated using a high-quality microphone in an exceptionally quiet environment with the microphone volume adjusted properly in sound preferences on a mid 2012 MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 with 8 GB of RAM and a 1 TB SSD. I have coloured Dictation's mistakes, misinterpretations and omissions in red.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I can't speak for plain old dictation(Like that in mountain lion) but the past dictation available in Mavericks has forgotten things that dictation in

mountain lion new well.

For example, Mountain lion new that the spoken phrase I cloud meant apples sweet of cloud-based Apps and storage locations.__Next, Mavericks dictation sometimes won't correctly exectute the "New paragraph" command. It's clearly trying, two spaces appear after the last dictated text but it sometimes fails and it's not app specific.

Mavericks Dictation

likes to place Capital letters on words in the middle of sentences(in the case of the C on the previous instance of the word,"Capital", dictation correctly Took the command to capitalize the word capital)but, oftentimes dictation will simply throw a capital if you've paused speaking for a short period of time or, if you move the cursor to a point, earlier in the paragraph to make a correction, and Then move it back.

Parentheses do not require the work was it space before or some time after. Also, There are no advanced features like "scratch that", the tool let unnamed dictation software allow you to strike the previously dictated word, sentence or entire paragraph. This would be a handy addition to apple's "enhanced" dictation.. ( Now Dictation refuses to dictate any further. But, after typing that sentence, Dictation resumed normal operation.)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 11:25 AM

24 replies

Apr 7, 2017 2:02 PM in response to MacSavvyIT

This only happens in Enhanced. The catch here is that in regular mode, your diction is way more accurate but your dictation gets sent to Apple along with your CONTACTS. Throw in a few annoying bugs in enhanced, people switch, they own your words and your contacts...to "enhance your experience" says the good angel on the sholder. Most companies listen more the devil on the other shoulder.

May 9, 2017 11:38 AM in response to rick268

I have not completely researched the update to this answer but I promise I will by the end of the week. Yes, it needs to be updated before I've even written it.......you'll see. First of all, thank you rick268 for your courageous service and I am sorry it has left you with an impairment. My dictation story starts like this. I was using a 2004 MacBook Pro until 2014 and it was a great machine but did not have 'Siri Dictation' nor any other type built-in dictation. As a result, I bought stand alone "Apple Dictate" software off the shelf. It worked flawlessly. It tested the voice of each member of my household and (says) it created a custom voice profile for each of us. Stand alone "Apple Dictate" even came with its own headset microphone. In 2014 my poor old MacBook Pro literally exploded and that was that. So I bought a new MacBook Pro with iOS 10.12.4 and a 15-inch Retina display in mid-2014 with 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 and 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory and Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB graphics. I thought that would be enough to run stand alone "Apple Dictate" at least as well as my 2004 model. I found out on day one that Apple does not support its own software at least when it comes to stand alone "Apple Dictate". I suppose they think that you will very quickly go back to stand alone "Apple Dictate" when you see the appalling upgrade which is 'Siri Dictation'. How does Apple achieve this feat of.......of........I'm speechless, what do you call this. Ten years, God knows how much money and an 'upgrade' is actually a 'downgrade'.

The coup de grâce is that the iPhone version of 'Siri Dictation' is worse than the iOS 10.12.4 version. It actually translates words almost flawlessly but it has a nasty habit of randomly capitalizing words mid-sentence and capitalizing entire words at the beginning of a sentence, at mid-sentence at the end of a sentence and just about every position in a sentence you can imagine.

After this long winded reply, I am hoping but not expecting that someone has come up with an "Apple Dictate" look-a-like that is compatible with iOS 10.12.4 & AND LOWER. Failing that I beseech every Apple user to write a letter to the Silicon City and ask the Wizard of Apple to make the simple changes necessary to make their own software product, namely "Apple Dictate", compatible with iOS 10.12.4 & LOWER & HIGHER systems just in case there are still some MacBook Pros from 2004 being used out there. Then they could and should go one big step further for Apple and make it available as a download, free of charge on the internet. In the meantime I'll let you know if I find any solution, Apple or otherwise.

Aug 28, 2014 12:39 AM in response to SteveK9123

I have been experiencing similar problems, except in Mountain Lion. See here:

Dictation behaviour with spaces and sentence starts

As I posted there, this behaviour started suddenly for me a short while ago. As you can see just before the word "this", Dictation placed a double space Where it should not, and as above capitalised when I paused before saying the word "where". Aha,… Another double space...

What seemed positive about this change is that whereas previously when you paused, the cursor was always glued to the last letter of the last word, and when you resume speaking it did not insert a gap; this had to be done manually, at least for me. Now, that little bug (or feature?) has gone but the extra space thing is just in overdrive. As you can see at the beginning of this paragraph, I also get a single space at the beginning of each paragraph.

Sep 21, 2014 1:10 AM in response to JustinPaterson

While serving our country in the United States Navy, I sustained a serious injury that resulted in the loss of most of my left hand. When I told the sales Genius at the Apple Store that I was writing a novel on my iPhone using Siri, He capitalized on my handicap and convinced me to buy an expensive Mac, Promising that it could translate speech to text better and give me more control. He even sold me an expensive condenser microphone by convincing me that I wouldn't get accurate translations without it. Unfortunately, Dictation in Mavericks is so buggy that I'm back to translating with Siri on my iPhone! 😠

I'm really having a hard time wrapping my finger around the concept that my iPhone is smarter than my Mac... I have been dealing with this issue for over a year and now they're saying that the You'llSemite upgrade Will NOT have Siri. That just blows me away. Kicking out "enhanced dictation" for Siri should be a no-brainer.

This whole fiasco is just preposterous and almost laughable that the iPhone is more powerful than Mac. Can anyone recommend an alternative program, Or software? I really need to finish this novel, Even if it means buying a PC…

Nov 10, 2014 12:49 PM in response to rick268

I wish that were true in the case of dictation. What I am finding is that it seems to have forgotten some of the training that it learned before. That's okay. But, the internal capitalization seems to be just as big a problem as it was before.

It's very interesting that I am finding right now, That this works better in Safari, Than it does in word. Though you can see a few capitalizations after commas in the previous sentence. Just before I updated to Yosemite, I found that highlighting a word and speaking it over would at least substitute a non-capitalized version of the word.

Right now that still seems be working in the mail program, Or even here. But it does not work in Word no matter how many times I correct it.

It's really baffling to understand why dictation should work differently in different applications. Perhaps there are some things in word I can turn off, But I haven't found them yet.

Enhanced dictation becoming clumsy.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.