Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera on reverse freezes and won't work iphone 5

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 12:23 PM

19 replies

Jan 25, 2014 6:47 AM in response to Priceless memories

Hello Priceless Memories,

Thanks for your question! It sounds like your phone camera on the back is unresponsive or otherwise isnt working. I found the following article to help you out with your camera, and recommend these steps from it:

iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2802

1. If the screen shows a closed lens or black image, force quit the Camera app.
  2. Cases can interfere with the camera and the flash. Try gently cleaning the lens with a clean dry cloth or removing the case if you see image or color-quality issues with photos.
  3. Try turning iPhone off and then back on.
  4. If your iPhone has a front and rear camera, try switching between them to verify if the issue persists on both.

If the issue persists, try resetting the device:

Reset

You should reset your device as a last resort and only if you can't restart it.

To reset, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

From: Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

And if the issue still persists, I would next try backing up and restoring your device to iTunes:

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

Jun 4, 2014 8:50 AM in response to Priceless memories

FIX FOR REAR CAMERA AND FLASHLIGHT!!!

I also had the same flash and rear camera problems as everyone else but I figured it was a software problem.

To fix the flash/flashlight, simply download the flashlight app. The one everyone used before iOS 7. The flash should work immediately.

To fix the rear camera go to Settings > General > Restrictions. Enable restrictions and turn the Camera off, then take the restriction off. Check your camera, it should work immediately.

Hope this answers a lot of questions and saves a bunch of money due to Apple's failures.

Cheers,

Tim

Jun 23, 2014 11:32 PM in response to Priceless memories

ATTENTION!!! This may help a lot of you who, like me, have tried all the 'fixes' on here that haven't worked.

I had this same problem after upgrading to ios 7.1.1

My front camera was working intermittently and when I tried to switch to rear camera, the app would freeze. As well as this, when I opened the camera app, the functions would disappear, sometimes the HDR button would go, sometimes the FLASH. Now I, just like everyone else, thought this 100% must be a software issue. Unfortunately for me it was not.. or was it? I cant say whether its coincidence or if the new ios is to blame because I simply don't know. After a call with an apple technician, the only option, as I live in NZ and we have no apple stores/genius bars, was to send my phone away to apple which was gona take 1-2 weeks. This wasn't an option for me as I'm moving overseas in about a week.

This is where my curiosity and impatience comes in to play, I wondered if somehow, it was a coincidence that my camera had simply 'spat the dummy' and called it a day. So, I went online and ordered a new front and rear camera. Arriving the next day with tool kit, I followed the Youtube clips on how to replace it.

40 minutes later, with phone back together, I powered up my phone, opened up the camera app and taa daaaa! Both FRONT and REAR camera worked like a dream! As well as replacing the two cameras, I also replaced the battery. I only did this because my iphone is nearly 2 years old and the battery was draining quite quickly.

Because sending my phone to apple was not an option for me, I did it myself. In total it cost me less than $100 and less than an hour. I do however, recommend taking it to a cell phone technician if you aren't comfortable in your rocket surgery/ cell phone skills, or if you have an apple store nearby, go there.

After all this, I still don't know if ios is to blame or not, even after rebooting/restoring/resetting my phone countless times. All I know is, the software may or may not have caused the issue, but a hardware fix was required for my phone to work as its suppose to.

Hope this helps!

Aug 16, 2014 9:46 AM in response to TFord555

Thank you very much TFord555 for this advise!! I didn't have a flashlight nor rear camera problem but I did have a problem since the update with my front camera. I had tried everything and thought I'd try out what you suggested and voila!! It worked!!!! Thank you!!!!! It was driving me crazy!!!!!

Jul 18, 2016 10:57 PM in response to Priceless memories

PROBLEM:

MY BACK CAMERA FREEZES WHEN I OPEN THE CAMERA APP. BUT ON THE FRONT WORKING BETTER.

QUESTION:

WHAT WOULD I DO?

SOLUTION:

TURN OFF THE DEVICE THEN DO THE NEXT STEP

OPEN THE BACK CASE OF THE IPHONE. THEN YOU WILL SEE A STICKER AT THE BACK CAMERA AND IT IS NOT STICK ON IT VERY RIGHT. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TO PUT A ELMER'S GLUE OR ANY TO STICK ON IT.

THEN CLOSE IT NOW, MAKE SURE IT IS VERY CLEAN TO LESSEN ANY KIND OF ERRORS. FINALLY

TURN ON THE DEVICE. OPEN THE CAMERA APP. NOW BACK OF YOUR CAMERA IS NOW PERFECTLY DOING GREAT.

THANK YOU! AND ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.