Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I watch itunes purchases on my samsung smart tv?

I received a nice Samsung Smart TV as a Christmas gift and I have a couple unwatched movies I purchased on iTunes that I'd like to be able to watch on my TV as I do with the HBO Go, NetFlix, Amazon apps on my Samsung TV, etc. Is there an app I can download to watch iTunes purchases just as I watch Netflix et al? Before I had my smart TV or blu ray players with Netflix and Amazon I used to just connect my MacBook pro to my HDTV, but I feel like this method is quited outmoded now and was hoping for a different solution... 😉

I know people will likely suggest purchasing Apple TV, but I don't see the point when I only own a couple iTunes movies/TV shows and already have a smart TV and two blu ray players with Netflix et al. Also, what else is Apple TV good for that my Smart TV and blu ray players and MacBook pro cannot do?

Would be great if they'd just develop an app that I can install on my smart TV, even if I had to pay a little bit for it... it's much preferable and easier than buying yet another overlapping product.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Mac OS X (10.5.8), MacBook

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2017 11:29 AM

I used to be able to play iTunes movies to my TV using family share on my PC. I haven't tried that in a while, so I'm not sure it still works that way. We have a first generation Apple TV, but when we got a smart TV last Christmas we assumed we wouldn't need it. I don't want to hook up ANOTHER component...I'm not even sure I have room to do so, anyway. I am VERY disappointed that there is not an iTunes ap for smart TV. It seems a ridiculous, money losing decision for Apple.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2017 11:29 AM in response to charissa7

I used to be able to play iTunes movies to my TV using family share on my PC. I haven't tried that in a while, so I'm not sure it still works that way. We have a first generation Apple TV, but when we got a smart TV last Christmas we assumed we wouldn't need it. I don't want to hook up ANOTHER component...I'm not even sure I have room to do so, anyway. I am VERY disappointed that there is not an iTunes ap for smart TV. It seems a ridiculous, money losing decision for Apple.

Jan 23, 2014 3:06 PM in response to charissa7

There is no way to play movies or TV shows from the iTunes Store directly on your SamsungTV. Those can only be played in Apple's own apps and devices. Since you don't see a purpose in getting an Apple TV so you can stream the movies and shows to your TV, you'll need to connect your MacBook to the TV via a cable as you did before.

Regards.

Aug 12, 2014 5:58 PM in response to charissa7

Hey charissa7 .... i have the answer you may need!

There is an amazing FREE server named Plex. Go to the website and install the app on your MacBook. Now open the app and follow the instructions to select your movie folder. You would want to select your iTunes movie folder in this instance. You can select a different folder for TV shows. You can also select more than one folder for each category. Now while plex matches your movies with MetaData and cover art etc, go to your TV app store and install plex. Follow through the instructions and add your IP to Plex on your TV. And there you go, wirelessly streams your contact over your internal network! It works great I have used this for a long time.

Any questions just ask 🙂

May 16, 2015 10:00 PM in response to JimJam14

Yep, I have the same problem so I'm glad a few of you mentioned going to Amazon to buy online. Let's hope I can do that on my Samsung Smart TV. I haven't used it very much as I hate their set up. It drives me nuts. Charissa7, I would also love to know what else Apple TV offers that would make me go and buy a separate product on top of what I already have ... JimJam4, thanks for the tip on Plex too. If all else fails, I'll use that. I hate using the movie downloads that are on the Samsung my partner has and would much rather use iTunes. Go figure why you're not Apple ... trying to keep people "locked in" yet again and yes, of course, there's the whole business of Apple "joining" with others to make things easier when they don't want to because of some silly hoo hah in the past. It's the past for goodness sake.

Jun 3, 2015 11:38 AM in response to charissa7

just spent about 3 and a half hours trying to figure this out too. My thorough investigation included all kinds of downloading/conversion tactics because yes, all I want to do is watch the PURCHASED videos that i have in itunes on the devices I ALREADY own. I have no insight to share in solving the problem but just want to chime in with my IMMENSE DISSATISFACTION with itunes and apple regarding the frustration that they knowingly inspire in the clients they are SUPPOSED to be serving, by forcing them to invest in unnecessary hardware. IF THEY NEED TO BE SO GOSHDARN STINGY AND FORCE EVERYONE TO USE EXCLUSIVELY APPLE THINGS, AN APP NEEDS TO BE CREATED FOR SMART TV OR CHROMECAST. they're only hurting themselves by making customers feel compelled to pursue ILLEGAL MEANS by which to watch the files ALREADY PURCHASED in a way that is convenient for them

Oct 27, 2016 2:44 AM in response to cogito2

Actually, I forgot -- there is a way to do it with software. Just install a DLNA media server such as Serviio (serviio.org), which can transmit videos over your local network. When it's up and running it should show on your TV's list of sources and then you can display items on your computer on your TV set. Caution: this is not the easiest of programs to use, and is prone to generate error messages. Being frustrated with that I did a search on 'dlna mac' and found a sourceforge application Universal Media Server. It started off so well, and then ... . I'll just post this for now and report back if I manage to get good results from it later (one issue is that when you install it it offers the chance to choose favoured directories and says you can always do it later in the preferences, but there ain't no preferences available!).

how can I watch itunes purchases on my samsung smart tv?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.