Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

two user accounts sharing aperture library constantly repairing permissions

My girlfriend and I each have a user account on our iMac. We have our Photo Library in a shared folder so we can both access it when using Aperture. However, every time I want to use Aperture, I have to first repair permissions. After doing this, everything runs fine.

Then, when my girlfriend tries to access Aperture, SHE has got to repair permissions first or Aperture gets hung up.

Basically, it appears that when I repair permissions in my user account, it messes up the permissions in her user account and vice versa. Has anyone ever experienced this behavior before and have they found a solution?

Thanks,

Rick

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 4:38 PM

4 replies

Jan 24, 2014 5:14 AM in response to Rick Brown2

It is not sufficient to have the library in a shared folder. That will not help with the permissions inside the Aperture library package.

The safest way to use an Aperture library from two differnet accounts is to move it to a disk or disk partition that has the "Ignore Ownership on this volume" flag enabled. Then you can take turns using the Aperture library from your accounts.

The procedure is explained in this document for an iPhoto library, but it work also for an Aperture library.

iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1198

Just remember, that any disk you are using for an Aperture library will have to be formatted for Mac:

MacOS Extented (Journaled).

My media drive with the Aperture library looks like this in "File > Get Info":

User uploaded file

two user accounts sharing aperture library constantly repairing permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.