Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove the "mirror" image on the front camera?

After I take photos on the front camera to say a "selfie" the image is then flipped and saved. I research online and people say it's what the camera sees (like looking into a mirror) and that's how we really look in real life but I can prove this to not be true!! Here is why, I have a beauty mark on my face on the left side and when I take a selfie my iPhone saves it to show it on the right!! And when I look into an actual mirror it's obviously on left where it should be not on the right!! IS THERE a way to remove this on the new iPhone?!? All apple product seem to do this!! iPhone, iPads even my Mac! But this not true on regular cameras. HELPPP this issue is making me not get another iPhone for I travel for a living and take tons of pics.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 4:53 AM

Hello,

My iPhone does it, too. I'll be in a text conversation with my friend, and I'll use the little icon to the left (iOS 10.3) of the message box; that pops up your picture/camera options. In iOS 10.3, there's a cool "on the fly selfie" option. I used it actually for the first time this morning, and when I viewed the picture, it put my head on the other side of the line (imagine the 4 coordinate planes we learned about in math). It does make me look different, so I revert to using Snapchat to take a selfie (the way I see myself in the mirror), then save that Snapchat selfie and send it in the default text messaging app that comes with the iPhone. I'm not sure if this is helpful to anyone or not.

Thank you.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2017 4:53 AM in response to Leanngy18

Hello,

My iPhone does it, too. I'll be in a text conversation with my friend, and I'll use the little icon to the left (iOS 10.3) of the message box; that pops up your picture/camera options. In iOS 10.3, there's a cool "on the fly selfie" option. I used it actually for the first time this morning, and when I viewed the picture, it put my head on the other side of the line (imagine the 4 coordinate planes we learned about in math). It does make me look different, so I revert to using Snapchat to take a selfie (the way I see myself in the mirror), then save that Snapchat selfie and send it in the default text messaging app that comes with the iPhone. I'm not sure if this is helpful to anyone or not.

Thank you.

Aug 7, 2017 11:42 AM in response to MsMendez00

Mine does that too! I have a canon power shot sx530 and it mirrors my face like the iPhone front camera does but it shows other things correctly. I know this is not how people see me because I use snap chat and their images aren't mirrored. I don't think I can fix this but on youtube, everyone else looks perfectly fine.. my brother looks perfectly fine when he takes a picture and his birthmark is on the right side of his face and in the image, it's on the right side.. for some reason, it's just me. I'm just gonna buy the Sony a5000 for youtube.. hopefully, it doesn't mirror the image. Even my laptop camera mirrors my pictures and videos like the iPhone!

Sep 18, 2017 7:21 PM in response to MsMendez00

Oh my goodness, it is so frustrating!! I have to use another app like Microsoft selfie or Snapchat and save the photo and switch apps! iPhone flips the image to distort my face giving me a horrible feeling about how I look.. my face looks lopsided lol I don't think there is a way to disable this.. if you find one, be sure to share!!

Jan 23, 2014 5:59 PM in response to Kramerjn01

Exactly THEIR right not mine! My beauty mark is on my left. The point is that it changes the way YOU look! And only apple does this I have DSLR camera and a cybershot and they don't do that!! I think people are missing the point! It's NOT what you really look like and it's not what a real life mirror shows. I was only asking if we can fix it! hoping to get an answer from and EXPERT obviously your not because you don't know what I mean.

Jan 23, 2014 7:09 PM in response to MsMendez00

MsMendez00 wrote:

It's NOT what you really look like and it's not what a real life mirror shows. I was only asking if we can fix it! hoping to get an answer from and EXPERT obviously your not because you don't know what I mean.

Kramerjn01 is absolutely correct. What you look like to yourself in the mirror is NOT what other people see when they look at you. You're seeing a reversed image in the mirror. The camera is showing you what other people see. That's what you seem to have trouble understanding.

This is a user-to-user forum. Everyone here is a volunteer. Being rude to people tends to decrease the likelihood that people will want to help you.

Jan 23, 2014 7:19 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thank you for putting in your two sense. It's frustrating to me that people don't understand what I'm referring to when clearly OTHER people like myself are having the same issue. People are explaining to me what I ALREADY KNOW, they really aren't paying attention to my question. Iam comparing the images from my digital and DSLR camera images and they are NOT the same. Apple products all do this. And I was wondering if their is a way to disable it. When you turn to your iPhone cam I shows your true image, then it saves it flipped. Try it. Take a photo tilting your head to the left, and the image saves it tilting it to your right. While is isn't a big deal, it is when I changes the way you look from other images taken with your digital cam. I thought by entering your question on here you would get experts advise from APPLE not random strangers. I'm new to this. Either way thanks for your comment.

Jan 23, 2014 7:28 PM in response to MsMendez00

Try this: take a picture of a friend using the front facing camera of your phone. Without the friend moving, compare the picture to the way the friend looks to you. Perhaps that will make it clear to you what's happening.

Unless your iPhone is doing something different than every other iPhone in the world, it's not saving the image reversed.

Jan 23, 2014 7:45 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thank you, will try that. I found other forms on here after and other people are having the same issue I have. So it's not just ME or MY phone. I also have the same issue on the iPad and my Mac has the same issue. It's unique to apple. I was hoping somebody knew something I did. Theirs even apps for this somebody mentioned "true mirror" which helps but I have to snap every photo through there and it's not the same. I hope YOU understand what I'm referring to now. Other wise thanks, but their is no point in going back and fourth. :)

Apr 21, 2014 2:37 PM in response to MsMendez00

Two other things to try:

1) Take 2 pictures of yourself - one with the regular rear-facing camera (this may take a couple of tries - or have someone else take the picture), & the other with the forward-facing "selfie" camera. Then compare the pictures.

2) Wear a hat with lettering on it (or a name tag). The picture should show the word(s) as being readable (not reversed) not matter what camera you use.

May 23, 2014 6:33 PM in response to MsMendez00

Hi.

If your problem is that the camera facing you when you look at your screen (to take a selfie) is flipping your image, it might be the app you're using.

If you use the Camera app that comes standard with your iphone, your photos (selfies) will not be flipped. They'll appear the way you look in the world.

If you use Instagram, your photos (selfies) WILL be flipped. They'll appear the way you look when you spot yourself in a mirror.

That's just something I've noticed. Hope this helps!

How do I remove the "mirror" image on the front camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.