Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email folders on iPhone

I recently had to restore my iPhone and all of a sudden all of my email folders from my MacBook Air are showing up on my iPhone. I use Cox so the account automatically set up as an IMAP. If I delete a folder on my iPhone, it deletes on my Mac too. I want to keep my Mac the way it is, I think of it as my primary email, and want to simple be able to view and delete emails on my iPhone. Basically, I can't stand the cluttered look of all the folders on my iPhone. Can someone help me out or is this just a casualty of the new iOS system??

Posted on Jan 23, 2014 6:23 PM

3 replies

Jan 23, 2014 7:28 PM in response to MMulhern

This is the way that IMAP has always worked. Mail is housed on the server and accessed by the mail clients. It is possible the mail set up the first time as POP, and that would allow what you are talking about, but not all mail can be set up that way. Also, I believe there has been a change as to how the iPhone mail client identifies the type of mail accounts. That is just an automatic way to identify the type of account.

Email folders on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.