Skip navigation

Pages 5.1 - Styles bug

624 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2014 8:59 PM by ajwells RSS
Michel Goldberg Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 24, 2014 12:12 AM

Hi everyone,

I was very glad that Apple updated Pages.

But I noticed a strange bug in 5.1 version.

On one of my documents (a big one updated from a previous version of Pages) containing a bunch of styles, does not "wok as it should). Now, whent I scroll the (how do you say in english ?) style menu in the format section (see image) styles becomes blank.

It seems this bug occurs with my Macbook pro retina only (not such problem with my iMac).

Can somebody help ?

When I come back to the menu, styles have reappeared but always the same scroll bug !

Both images befor and after scrolling the menu :

Bug Pages (Styles 2).pngBug Pages.pngf

Best regards.

And forgive my clumsy english : I am french !

iPhone 5, OS X Mavericks (10.9)
  • PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7 (27,250 points)
    Jan 24, 2014 12:11 AM (in response to Michel Goldberg)

Non! Msr Chapeau!

I tried one of Apple's templates on my son's Macbook Pro Retina and the styles all show up.

Try restarting to clear out your memory.

Peter

• Tom Gewecke Level 9 Level 9 (70,815 points)
    Jan 25, 2014 10:45 AM (in response to Michel Goldberg)

Michel Goldberg wrote:

Thank you : but did not work

Have you tried with the app running in English?   Sometimes bugs like this are confined to particular localizations.

• Tom Gewecke Level 9 Level 9 (70,815 points)
    Jan 25, 2014 11:11 AM (in response to Michel Goldberg)

Michel Goldberg wrote:

In fact it occurs on both my two MacBook pros but not on my iMac.

Aha, I missed that earlier.

In that case Apple might not be able to duplicate the problem, which is the first step to being able to fix it.

Have you also tried deleting and redownloading the apps? Or a safe boot?

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14204

• ajwells Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Jan 26, 2014 3:29 PM (in response to Michel Goldberg)

Just to let you know, I have had the same problem since I started using Pages 5.0 on my MacMini.

I reported that bug to Apple through their developer Bug Reporter some time back...

This was my report:

09-Dec-2013 10:33 PM

Summary: When the number of paragraph styles becomes very high, the scrolling paragraph styles pane stops displaying text and becomes unusable. 

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Launch Pages 5.0 or 5.0.1

2. Go to Format Inspector, Paragraph styles, and access the pop out paragraph styles selection pane.

3. Click on the "+" to add a new style. Repeat this step until the text in the pop out paragraph styles selection pane disappears (approximately 23 to 47 times depending on the size of the styles added).  

Actual Results: The text in the pop out paragraph styles selection pane disappears, rendering it unusable. 

Version: Pages 5.0 and 5.0.1; OS X 10.9 (13A598) 

Notes: It seems that triggering the error depends on the graphical height of  the pop out paragraph styles selection pane, not the actual number of existing styles.

This was their response:

Apple Developer Relations10-Dec-2013 07:37 PM

Engineering has determined that your bug report is a duplicate of another issue and will be closed.

I guess they have known about the problem for a while then. They must be busy with damage control over all the issues with Pages 5 that are causing greater negative feedback.

The only way I found to work around the bug was eliminating styles from the drawer until the bug goes away. Not a nice fix, but it is one way to be able to continue working with the doc.

• ajwells Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Jan 27, 2014 8:59 PM (in response to Michel Goldberg)

It would appear that the reason the bug shows up sooner on some computers than others is the screen resolution or size. If I lower my screen resolution in System Preferences the bug can be triggered by a lower number of styles. My hypothesis is that the larger the screen (or the higher the resolution) the more styles Pages 5 can handle. I would be willing to venture that if you add a bunch more styles to your file on the iMac it would trigger the bug. I only have a MacMini so I can't test that out though.

I find it interesting that exporting to Microsoft Word .docx format fixed things. Nice idea! It appears to me that when you export to .docx format, all unused styles are eliminated from the file. This reduces the number of styles in the scrolling drawer and thus no longer triggers the bug (unless you keep adding styles again). I guess that is one way to weed out unnecesary styles, as long as it doesn't mess up formatting. It may be an easy fix for some people.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.