Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iTunes library to new PC - missing playlists

Hi,

I used the "External drive" method to move my iTunes library from my old to my new PC. Unfortunately, none of the playlists made the trip... Did I skip a step along the way?

Thanks for your help.

iPod classic

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 12:34 AM

4 replies

Jan 26, 2014 12:57 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your help. I was finally able to export my playlists in TXT format from my old PC (File > Library > Export playlist), and import them on my new PC. I also found out how to share my iTunes library with the other users of the same PC (move "iTunes Media" folder to a public directory and point each user's advanced preferences to that folder), but the playlists didn't make the trip!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jan 26, 2014 1:41 PM in response to Gers32

The iTunes library is the sum of its parts. The library files in the iTunes folder contains the playlists, ratings, play counts etc. and anything else not stored in the media tags. Changing the media folder for a library doesn't change the database that is opened. If you want multiple users to have access to the same library then move the whole iTunes folder to a common path, shared music or C:\iTunes, and then connect each user in turn to it with the shift-start-iTunes method.

tt2

Moving iTunes library to new PC - missing playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.