Announcement: Update to iOS 12

Enjoy a faster and more responsive experience as well as fun new features, like Memoji and Camera Effects.
Get iOS 12 > https://support.apple.com/ios/update

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Iphone 5 keeps searching network problem....

My iphone 5 today suddenly started started searching network,

I took out the SIM card , it still kept searching for network instead of saying no sim or no service.

I reset network settings, then all settings, turned phone on off several times, put back sim in, hard reset it etc.

I haven't restored it from itunes that I will do next but I am wondering if any one had simlar problem.

Taking SIM card out should changed it to no sim or no service but it doesn't do that so that is weird. It doesn't matter which location because I was in my car when it started searching and I came back home still the same.

Another thing is it doesn't give me an option to select carrier manually as that option has disappeared from the settings.

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on

Question marked as Apple Recommended
Answer:
Answer:

Read this to see if it can help you fix the issue:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3780

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Apr 29, 2014 4:49 AM in response to pradhyumnrathi In response to pradhyumnrathi

I have exactly the same problem , its just keep seraching for network but never finds one and doesnt give me the chance to choose as well. The phone work in a wifi enviroment but the network doesn not . I can not make calls or receive calls too.. any solutions ?? been without a network for 3 days now....

Dec 4, 2014 10:38 AM in response to pradhyumnrathi In response to pradhyumnrathi

Well I had the exact same problem with my Iphone 5s, I tried many things such as turning the airplane mode on/off, restarting the device and also did a network settings reset. Nothing helped.

The next thing I did was to do a general reset via iTunes to factory settings (Made a backup first. Very important if you can connect to iTunes, it's a MUST). When the phone booted-up again, I had to ''activate the phone. But to activate it, I needed a connection with a network. But that was the whole problem so I was stuck and couldn't do anything with the device.

So I called the Apple support centre. We tried a few things, they all dindn't work. The last option (which worked for me) was to do a recovery (I have no idea what this reset is called) via the device+ iTunes.

To perform the reset, please follow these steps and hopefully it will work for you as well.

1. Open iTunes

2. Connect your USB cable to the computer, NOT to your device yet.

3. Power Off your device, and be sure that it is Off.

4. Press the home and hold it.

5. Connect the USB cable to your phone. You will see a iTunes logo on your device, you can release the home button.

6. Do a recovery via iTunes. iTunes will now recover the phone.

If it doesn't work the first time, try again. I had to do it twice and luckily it worked the second time.

I hope that this will help, Good luck!

Dec 12, 2014 11:51 AM in response to pradhyumnrathi In response to pradhyumnrathi

Hi! the solution to the problem is, to manually set the date in setting, date and Time, to be a date which are in 2000 +

When the date is set to somewhat more than 2000 + it's time to switch phone of, and then restart. After the restart, the access to the SIM Card will Work Again, and also the GSM net.

And then you can go in and choose the Set date Automatic, in generally, settings

Nov 22, 2014 3:52 PM in response to pradhyumnrathi In response to pradhyumnrathi

i am having exactly the same issue. And I went to AT&T store and they told me to go an Apple store. I did couple of back and forth travels between the two. They both didn't help me much. One last check from the Apple store ended up recommending fix it by paying ~$280.

I just can't believe the situation i am having now. I bought this phone back in June as a "Like New" AT&T certified pre-owned after an accident on my previous phone which got totally broke. Now the AT&T's 90 day warranty is expired and the Apple's manufacture 1-year warranty expired without knowing as so ( I thought the certified pre-own also covers some longer period than 90 days).

I just can't accept that now I need to pay such a nonsense... A week later I bought the phone, AT&T dropped the iPhone 5s price even below the price I paid for the preowned....

If anyone went through the same issue without paying the highly priced Apple care, please share your solution here....

I see lots of customers having the same issue from communities all over the internet, how come Apple doesn't take care this issue as a recall offer...????

I currently own multiple high-end Apple products but this is the worst experience ever had. Now I am seriously considering, for the next phones, we might all move to "The Next Big Thing"... My wife used the big things for many years over many different models but never had any defective issues especially nothing like "searching...."

Dec 10, 2014 12:21 AM in response to pradhyumnrathi In response to pradhyumnrathi

Hi!

I might have a solution to your problem:

My iPhone 5S had the same problem after the battery was empty.
As a consequence the date and time setting got lost and was put to a date in the 1970s.

Because of this the phone lost all reference to the network.
All I did is change the date manually, switched off and on the device and all work fine afterwards. 🙂

Hopefully this will also work for you!

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Apr 29, 2014 4:49 AM in response to pradhyumnrathi In response to pradhyumnrathi

I have exactly the same problem , its just keep seraching for network but never finds one and doesnt give me the chance to choose as well. The phone work in a wifi enviroment but the network doesn not . I can not make calls or receive calls too.. any solutions ?? been without a network for 3 days now....

Apr 29, 2014 4:49 AM

Reply Helpful (95)

May 5, 2014 12:47 AM in response to kercay In response to kercay

Any progress on this ? If I even take out my sim card out , the searching does not change to NO SIM .

I would really appriciate some help...

May 5, 2014 12:47 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 20, 2014 12:41 PM in response to pradhyumnrathi In response to pradhyumnrathi

did you guys try to replace the battery? coz i have an costumer that have the same problem that even you take the sim card out the no sim card

display doesn't come out i reflow the board and still no luck but when i realize that i haven't replace the battery after replacing the battery

it give a signal and lte come out...hope this will help ya'll

Sep 20, 2014 12:41 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 22, 2014 3:52 PM in response to pradhyumnrathi In response to pradhyumnrathi

i am having exactly the same issue. And I went to AT&T store and they told me to go an Apple store. I did couple of back and forth travels between the two. They both didn't help me much. One last check from the Apple store ended up recommending fix it by paying ~$280.

I just can't believe the situation i am having now. I bought this phone back in June as a "Like New" AT&T certified pre-owned after an accident on my previous phone which got totally broke. Now the AT&T's 90 day warranty is expired and the Apple's manufacture 1-year warranty expired without knowing as so ( I thought the certified pre-own also covers some longer period than 90 days).

I just can't accept that now I need to pay such a nonsense... A week later I bought the phone, AT&T dropped the iPhone 5s price even below the price I paid for the preowned....

If anyone went through the same issue without paying the highly priced Apple care, please share your solution here....

I see lots of customers having the same issue from communities all over the internet, how come Apple doesn't take care this issue as a recall offer...????

I currently own multiple high-end Apple products but this is the worst experience ever had. Now I am seriously considering, for the next phones, we might all move to "The Next Big Thing"... My wife used the big things for many years over many different models but never had any defective issues especially nothing like "searching...."

Nov 22, 2014 3:52 PM

Reply Helpful (9)

Dec 4, 2014 10:38 AM in response to pradhyumnrathi In response to pradhyumnrathi

Well I had the exact same problem with my Iphone 5s, I tried many things such as turning the airplane mode on/off, restarting the device and also did a network settings reset. Nothing helped.

The next thing I did was to do a general reset via iTunes to factory settings (Made a backup first. Very important if you can connect to iTunes, it's a MUST). When the phone booted-up again, I had to ''activate the phone. But to activate it, I needed a connection with a network. But that was the whole problem so I was stuck and couldn't do anything with the device.

So I called the Apple support centre. We tried a few things, they all dindn't work. The last option (which worked for me) was to do a recovery (I have no idea what this reset is called) via the device+ iTunes.

To perform the reset, please follow these steps and hopefully it will work for you as well.

1. Open iTunes

2. Connect your USB cable to the computer, NOT to your device yet.

3. Power Off your device, and be sure that it is Off.

4. Press the home and hold it.

5. Connect the USB cable to your phone. You will see a iTunes logo on your device, you can release the home button.

6. Do a recovery via iTunes. iTunes will now recover the phone.

If it doesn't work the first time, try again. I had to do it twice and luckily it worked the second time.

I hope that this will help, Good luck!

Dec 4, 2014 10:38 AM

Reply Helpful (75)

Dec 7, 2014 9:38 AM in response to JackBauer83 In response to JackBauer83

Hi Jack,

Well i tought that I solved the problem, but it started searching for network again after a few hours just like your device. I tried to do a (soft)restore again but unfortunately it gave an error code (code 16) on iTunes. So I called the Apple support again and we tried to restore it again for a few times. It didn't help at all. The guy from apple said that it could be a hardware problem. I still have a year warranty, so i'm sending my device for repair. Hopefully that will fix it.

I'm afraid that doing the same is the only option.

Good Luck!

Dec 7, 2014 9:38 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 10, 2014 12:21 AM in response to pradhyumnrathi In response to pradhyumnrathi

Hi!

I might have a solution to your problem:

My iPhone 5S had the same problem after the battery was empty.
As a consequence the date and time setting got lost and was put to a date in the 1970s.

Because of this the phone lost all reference to the network.
All I did is change the date manually, switched off and on the device and all work fine afterwards. 🙂

Hopefully this will also work for you!

Dec 10, 2014 12:21 AM

Reply Helpful (9)

Dec 11, 2014 2:08 AM in response to flammax14 In response to flammax14

1,Connect to wireleasen networks

2,let your iPhone be connected to wireless in 2-3 minutes

3,turn off and on the phone

4,Now you should get a notifications of entering pin code

5,first time it can happily take up to several minutes before pin code approved

Enhot

Dec 11, 2014 2:08 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Dec 12, 2014 11:51 AM in response to pradhyumnrathi In response to pradhyumnrathi

Hi! the solution to the problem is, to manually set the date in setting, date and Time, to be a date which are in 2000 +

When the date is set to somewhat more than 2000 + it's time to switch phone of, and then restart. After the restart, the access to the SIM Card will Work Again, and also the GSM net.

And then you can go in and choose the Set date Automatic, in generally, settings

Dec 12, 2014 11:51 AM

Reply Helpful (16)
User profile for user: pradhyumnrathi

Question: Iphone 5 keeps searching network problem....