Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Textedit won't allow me to save .txt file "The file "Untitled.txt" couldn't be opened."

I have searched for this but couldn't find the answer for it. Everytime I use textedit and then tried to save my file I get the following error "The file "Untitled.txt" couldn't be opened." I am trying to save the file to my desktop with .txt extension but still not able to do so and it is driving me crazy. 😠

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 5:16 AM

12 replies

Apr 4, 2014 3:01 AM in response to Issam73

I have recently upgraded to Mavericks 10.9.2 - there are a number of glitches that I have noticed. Hopefully Apple will remedy the issues soon.

Recently TextEdit has been behaving weirdly.

I type a document and go to save and I get the following:

User uploaded file

I think you'll agree that the document exists, this is a screenshot of it.
I know there is a "/" in the name and that Mac doesn't like it but the same problem exists with whatever name is used and in whichever location is selected for the save.

Having run Macintosh since OS 8.6 I do have some working knowledge of how to resolve problems. My immediate action was to reboot the system. Nothing - same issue. I then moved to the Preferences directory (~/Library/Preferences) and did the usual trashing of the applications preferences. I noticed that in Mavericks there are way more associated preferences for each app. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I trashed the lot and emptied the trash. I was not able to empty the trash entirely - the system informed me that one of the documents was in use. I did not have TextEdit running. I removed the offending file from the command line using rm.

I then rebooted the system again and opened TextEdit and tried again and lo and behold the documents were able to be saved. However on inspection of the Preferences again I now find that TextEdit seems to have no preferences? See the Spotlight search below.

User uploaded file

Whilst I tend to adhere to the adage "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" in this case I would really rather like to see the TextEdit Prefs.

Maybe there is a Mac-guru out there that can explain a) what is going on here b) how to reinstate some prefs for TextEdit as it would seem pretty normal that they exist. and c) what happens if TextEdit throws a wobbler again, I have no prefs to trash

At this time of writing TextEdit seems to be behaving normally aside from the above mentioned prefs issue.

Jun 15, 2014 5:59 AM in response to Issam73

TO ALL HAVING TEXT EDIT ISSUES SAVING DOCUMENTS TO THEIR DESK TOP.....

I too ran into problems w/ 9.3 trying to save a document to my desktop but finally......

File> Duplicate and duplicated my TextEdit document. Then I saved the duplicate just like always.

Once I did that and it worked, it's worked ever since whether I use File> Save (Save As) or

the Edit on top of the document. Hope this helps others.

Think it's a bug in OS10.9.x Apple needs to fix.

Feb 5, 2015 5:34 AM in response to Issam73

SOLUTION:

This is not a new issue, and yes it ***** that Mac will just simply post the answer here as its extremely easy.

The problem when you get that "The document Untitled could not be saved as "-----" . The file doesn't exist" message is actually nothing more than a Pathway problem. The pathway Text Edit wants to use has been corrupted and TextEdit has no idea where to turn.

Odds are VERY likely that if you look at the "start" folder of the path from which you are trying to save (and from which you probably save regularly), it is NOT the Top-Level Hard Drive Folder, but some folder inside the hard drive, possibly nested several layers in.

To Fix This:

1) Create any New TextEdit document, and click Save.

2) When the Save Dialogue box pops up, navigate BACKWARDS to the absolute Top Level Folder of your Mac (probably called something like "Macintosh HD" or the like - we are talking the level ABOVE your User name / account).

3) Click on that Top Level, and then navigate from there down through your User account to the actual folder where you would like to save your document. It does not matter how deep your desired folder is located as long as you Start from the absolute Top Level of your entire system.

4) Click Save. It should save Just Fine. 🙂

What you basically just did was tell your Mac which way to turn - the "directions" the Mac was using got corrupted and the TextEdit save process got lost in the woods. Doing the steps above sets the save process back on the correct path.

I have happily only ever had this problem twice, and this solved the issue 100% both times.

Feb 5, 2015 6:35 AM in response to Issam73

If you are using TextEdit with the default settings, it won't let you save the file with a .txt extension because the default format is rich text. The extension for that must be .rtf .

If you want TextEdit to always use plain, unformatted text, then open its preferences and click the radio button for "Plain text". New files will then always be created this way. To switch back and forth without opening the preferences, press Command+Shift+T.

Edit: And I just noticed this was a 7 month old resurrected topic.

Apr 22, 2015 7:55 PM in response to s-car-go

I too had this problem. Whenever I tried saving a file with textedit, I got the error message "The file "Untitled.rtf" couldn't be opened" .

I tried duplicating the file, and got the same error.

I tried saving the file with a different extension, and got the same error.

I tried deleting the TextEdit.plist file, and still got the same errors.

I tried deleting the entire com.apple.TextEdit container, but still I got the same error

Finally, I found a website that suggested opening Internet Accounts in System Preferences, then iCloud, and then deselecting "Documents and Data". It warned me that all my iCloud documents would be removed from the Mac, I decided that would be OK since they would still be on iCloud.

That solved it!!

Then I opened up the same iCloud menu and selected "documents and Data", and it copied all the iCloud documents back to the Mac. The problem is still gone.

A simple problem and it only took me barely an hour of frustration to solve it. Amazing!

I HATE APPLE SW

May 20, 2015 3:31 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt,

It may be an old thread, but no one ever answered the question until you did.

I also searched several conversations on several other lists & also never found the answer.

Learned about lots of other stuff reading all those other answers, but I do thank you for answering the original question, as I come from Windows land & had the same question.

Textedit won't allow me to save .txt file "The file "Untitled.txt" couldn't be opened."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.