Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When solving MSVCR80 issue will I lose my downloads

I also have the missing MSVCR80.dll after a failed update but before following the suggested repair method could anyone tell me if all the cd's that I have downloaded will disappear. I have not purchased from iTunes so I'm not sure if my music is on any database or will there still be backup files in explorer?

iPod classic, Windows 7, Dell with Intel core 7 +8gb Ram

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 6:38 AM

172 replies

Jan 24, 2014 6:48 AM in response to RealChewbacca

Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs (Win XP) or Programs and Features (later)

Remove all of these items in the following order:

• iTunes
  • Apple Software Update
  • Apple Mobile Device Support (if this won't uninstall press on)
  • Bonjour
  • Apple Application Support

Reboot, download iTunes, then reinstall, either using an account with administrative rights, or right-clicking the downloaded installer and selecting Run as Administrator.

The uninstall and reinstall process will preserve your iTunes library and settings, but ideally you would back up the library and your other important personal documents and data on a regular basis. See this user tip for a suggested technique.

Please note:

Some users may need to follow all the steps in whichever of the following support documents applies to their system. These include some additional manual file and folder deletions not mentioned above.

HT1925: Removing and Reinstalling iTunes for Windows XP

HT1923: Removing and reinstalling iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

tt2

Jan 25, 2014 4:08 AM in response to TheCore202

TheCore202 wrote:

Why would you uninstall everything and reinstall everything...

.... related to iTunes?

Because that is the way to fix things when repairing or reinstalling the application alone doesn't work. Apple can't come in to your computer and fix it remotely. This particular update may have failed for different reasons for different people, and for most it will still have gone perfectly. There is no telling if an updated installer released in haste would do any better. or be able to repair the systems that are currently broken, which is why I suggest following their existing repair advice.

tt2

Jan 25, 2014 7:35 AM in response to TheCore202

In addition if you SEARCH for msvcr80.dll you will read that this error message can represent many different problems depending on what activity created the error. Among other problems it can represent a malware issue related to the activity. This problem has occurred previously related to updating iTunes and the recommended approach above is the best solution to insure there are no bad things going on with your Apple programs.

Jan 25, 2014 4:32 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you, thank you, thank you turingtest2. i have followed your instructions exactly as advised and I now have itunes running again and all my music collection is available as before. i have been pulling my hair out all day uninstalling & redownloading & reinstalling, doing system restore, everything at least 3 times, all to no avail. Then I came to this forum and read your post & decided to give it a go. I can't believe how successful it has been. thank you once again. I've signed up to this discussion just so i can thank you & to let other unfortunates like myself who had fell foul of the update, that your way does work and you don't lose anything. Cheers .

When solving MSVCR80 issue will I lose my downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.