Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

understanding grouped contact syncing and merging

New to iPads here. I have a personal Gmail account for my friends and family that syncs to my ipad.

Now I have a second Gmail account for a volunteer organization with all the members. What I would like is a way to keep each of my 2 Google account contacts synced separately- not merge them between accounts. I can't figure out what will happen.

What will happen if I turn on the Contacts for the Volunteer Gmail account? Will the iPad's auto-sync merge my Personal Google contacts with my Volunteer Google contacts? I do NOT want all the contacts merged (synced) between both of the accounts.

I want to keep my personal Google contacts synced with my personal Google account and my volunteer contacts synced with my volunteer Google account.

TIA

iPad, iOS 7.0.4, iPad mini

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 7:01 AM

Setup both accounts and they will remain as separate accounts. They will not merge.

Although both sets of contacts will appear in the Contacts app, they will stay separate.

It's not actually possible to merge contacts from multiple accounts, so there's no worry that that may happen. Although you can choose to view all contacts together in the Contacts app.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2014 7:01 AM in response to mt granny

Setup both accounts and they will remain as separate accounts. They will not merge.

Although both sets of contacts will appear in the Contacts app, they will stay separate.

It's not actually possible to merge contacts from multiple accounts, so there's no worry that that may happen. Although you can choose to view all contacts together in the Contacts app.

Jan 24, 2014 8:06 AM in response to dU2mDUifydkRa0E9ic5A

Thanks! one more question- if I am on my iPad and add a contact I see where it goes into an iPad group.

Does this mean that any contact I add on my iPad will only stay there? That it will not get synced with one of my Google accounts?

So I think this will mean I have 3 separate groups instead of 2.

So if I want it to sync with my pesonal google account I will have to go online to gmail and add the person that way?

understanding grouped contact syncing and merging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.