Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rMBP (Late 2013) Creaking

I have one of the Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro's that makes the creaking, squeaky clicky noise if I pick up my laptop or squeeze it near the bottom right of the trackpad.

I have finally managed to get a reservation at the Genius Bar next week.

So, I was just wondering what the general outcome is. Have any of you been to the Genius Bar with your creaky laptop? What did they do it?

Should I expect some tightened/loosened screws and have it handed back? I read that some Apple Stores have been looking for creaking laptops to examine, and issuing brand new MBPs!

How did you get on? Did the problem go away after visiting the Store?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 6:58 AM

10 replies

Jan 26, 2014 10:29 PM in response to 7ewis

I had ( and still have) the same issue with my late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina. For me the noise if from the left side of the computer and it is especially loud when it is on my lap. Bust still annoying even when on a desk. So I called customer service a while ago, the lady told me that it is definitely an issue that needs to be checked out by a 'Genius'. So she makes an appointment for me and I drop in the store, when I finally explain what is happening after a 20-minute wait, I get told "a lot of retinas do that"!!

The genius ended up retightening all bottom screws and told me that it had fixed the problem but it really hadn't.. The problem was that the apple store had really loud music pumping so I couldn't really verify that the problem was resolved in the store.

Apple sent me a message asking how the appointment had gone, I told them the story and asked that they get back to me but they never did. Very sad the way apple is going, their customer service and quality control have always been key differentiates from my point of view but it looks like they are going downhill in both aspects.

Anyway, so far apart from the annoyance the creaking (almost like rusty springs) has not caused any problems and I am trying to live with it.

So how did your appointment go? I would really appreciate it if you share your experience.

Jan 30, 2014 12:10 AM in response to Alirt

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I'm on my phone at the moment, so I can't reply properly. But I'm going to the Apple Store today (Took ages to get a Genius Bar reservation!). I'll let you know how I get on.

Hopefully the Genius you saw was incompetent, you should try booking another appointment and hope for someone else, at least if mine goes well!

I honestly think that its one screw that needs tightening though.

Jan 30, 2014 6:20 AM in response to Alirt

Just got back from the Apple Store, exactly the same happened to me.

It appeared to be 'fixed' whilst I was at the Genius Bar, but when I left, I tried squeezing it again and guess what? It still does it... I think the area may have moved, and it isn't as easy to make it creak, but it definitely still does...

I'm not sure if I'll bother going back again, and like you I think I'll just try to live with it. Some have had the problem go away, so hopefully that'll happen!

Jan 30, 2014 7:36 AM in response to 7ewis

The notebook vs. laptop distinction is important cause these portables run quite hot in order to do what they do with so little size. Owners have gotten scalded and, in the litigation-prone US society, Apple takes extra pains to emphasize the distinction.

As for the creaks & groans, is it constant, when "flexing" the unit or just when opening the lid?

If constant, could be a dirty fan. 15" units have two. vs. the 13"s one. And are a known failure point.

Jan 30, 2014 7:36 AM in response to tight_eye

Not really, the user manuals of MacBook Pros state it is not a laptop and shouldn't be used on your lap and that it should always be sitting on a hard flat surface. So, actually it was the correct advise in that regard. I have a mid 2012 retina, which creaks. The creaking is caused by springs that are on the logic board and the come out and touch the bottom plate. I have read that some ppl have added lubricant to the springs and it has stopped the creaking, but beware the proper lubricant needs to be used. Using the wrong product could damage the computer. I personally just tighten the screws every once in awhile because it alleviates the creaking.

Jan 30, 2014 8:48 AM in response to Courcoul

It only makes the sound when I pick it up, squeeze it near the right of the trackpad, or generally touch it in that area.

It definitely isn't a fan or anything, I'm pretty sure that it is just one particular screw. It's almost as if the Genius has done nothing...

Think I may book another appointment in the future when I am near an Apple Store. If they can't fix it within three vists, they're likely to give a new, at least from what I've read. And I don't really have much on the laptop (Sorry, notebook!) as most of it is backed up elsewhere or in the cloud, so I wouldn't mind that!

Jan 6, 2015 8:51 PM in response to 7ewis

HI .... So I too have that ******** sound - mine though is not like creaking - like shutting something w a hinge or like a door - it's like a very high pitched (totally wrong word to use but I can't describe it lol) tinging pinging clicking dinging sound... but like a bell but a teenie tiny bell hahahaha this is ridiculous lol ok ok I think I got one.... Ok so our computers are made of aluminum .... There's tiny screws which are also metal ..... Metal tapping another metal or something metal inside of a thin hollow metal casing jiggling around bc it's loose or whatever makes a very distinctive tiny tinging sound ... When I first noticed it it was if I press down on the bottom directly in the middle below the serial # & spec stamp between all the top half of surrounding screws ... There's 4 screws along the top where it hinges or closes & mirroring screws at the bottom where you would open it to use it... And 3 on the right and left sides... Imagine a line horizontally connecting the middle screws on the sides then one vertical between the sets of 4 ... I know this is dumb as **** lol I'm sorry ....Annoying sound location is on the top half and smack dab on the line splitting the top 4 set screws exactly half way between the 2 side screws

I Go to apple thinking tighten the screws please it sounds like there's a gap bc they're loose and something's tinging inside ...... I can make it make the sound every time and of course no one can hear it - 30 mins later and 15 techs later he heard it....Guys go in the back completely take the whole thing apart to see what's wrong.... Hour and a half later - nothing's wrong nothings loose and they pick up the other ones in the store and they all effing do it. after they did all that obviously I was so relieved and felt so much better - UNTIL the next day after I installed some updates and had to restart ...... My screen with the apple would change to pink and that multicolor weird screen when something's jacked up ... Flicker a little brighten up change to another color then go normal as my login screen would appear....... it continued on until a month ago then went back to normal ...... Don't try and get the noise fixed ... It's not worth what they can screw up on accident trying to see what's making the sound ... I got lucky reaaaaal lucky whatever happened wasn't serious bc I'm sure id have to pay to repair it....

and notice my elaboration on the word LAP Alirt

PS I have the 15.4 MBP Retina mid 2012

rMBP (Late 2013) Creaking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.