Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

viewing ratings while importing using the viewer

Hello!

When importing images in the Aperture import window using the viewer mode, is there a way to make Aperture show the rating of an image?

(Some of my images have ratings given to them in-camera. They do show up perfectly AFTER the import. But it would be nice to be able to see the ratings in the import dialogue to help with selecting which images to import and which not.)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 8:15 AM

To the best of my knowledge, no, you cannot view ratings in the Aperture Import Dialog. (But I am still on 10.8.5.)

I would like to suggest a change in your workflow. The core Aperture feature set provides excellent tools for culling your Images. I initially went through my shoots and importing only my "good" images. It was likely suggested to me -- as I'm suggesting to you -- that this is making an easy task harder. Import everything, indiscriminately, and then use Aperture's full tool set to cull what you've imported. Limiting yourself to the tools available in the Import dialog leads to frustration, as you have found out.

HTH,

--Kirby.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2014 8:15 AM in response to Till von Reumont

To the best of my knowledge, no, you cannot view ratings in the Aperture Import Dialog. (But I am still on 10.8.5.)

I would like to suggest a change in your workflow. The core Aperture feature set provides excellent tools for culling your Images. I initially went through my shoots and importing only my "good" images. It was likely suggested to me -- as I'm suggesting to you -- that this is making an easy task harder. Import everything, indiscriminately, and then use Aperture's full tool set to cull what you've imported. Limiting yourself to the tools available in the Import dialog leads to frustration, as you have found out.

HTH,

--Kirby.

Jan 24, 2014 8:31 AM in response to Till von Reumont

Till von Reumont wrote:

(Some of my images have ratings given to them in-camera. They do show up perfectly AFTER the import. But it would be nice to be able to see the ratings in the import dialogue to help with selecting which images to import and which not.)

If you are somehow setting star ratings (1-5) in the camera then Kirby's response is correct. If you mean "flagging" images in the camera, then you can import only the flagged images. There's a setting in the File Types panel of Import Settings that lets you do that -- "Only include files flagged/locked in camera".

If you are actually setting a star rating in the camera, I'd be curious as to what model camera you are using that allows you to do that.

Jan 25, 2014 6:39 AM in response to Till von Reumont

Good to know about the Canon and ratings, thanks. However, I'm not sure I would trust the camera's LCD to assign ratings. Just the way I work. Try the alternative discussed above, i.e., simply flag any images in the camera you think might be worth keeping, then use Aperture's import feature to import just those images. You could then do star ratings in Aperture using much better resolution to accurately assign the rating. Not a lot more work than what you are currently doing, and you accomplish your goal of importing only "rated" images.

viewing ratings while importing using the viewer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.