Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create bootable USN drive with two partitions.

Hi,

I am trying to create a bootable USB drive with Mavericks. I want to have the bootable on one partition and another partiton for data, etc.

What are steps to complete this?

Furthermore, if this is possible then how do I tell Mac OS X which partition to boot from? And how big should the bootable partition be? 8GB?

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 8:41 AM

4 replies

Jan 26, 2014 1:33 PM in response to BGmail

Hello BGmail,

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you would like to install Mavericks on a USB drive and would like to know the minimum size for the partition.

The following article will provide you steps for installing OS X on an external volume. It also states that "your storage device must have at least 13 GB available (after formatting) to install OS X Lion or later and a Recovery partition."

OS X: Installing OS X on an external volume

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5911

Once installed, you can select to boot to this installation of OS X by holding down the Option key when restarting your computer or set it as the Startup Disk in System Preferences. You can find more information in the following article:

OS X Mavericks: Change your startup disk

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13750

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Feb 21, 2014 11:50 PM in response to sheila_m.

Hi Sheila.

Thanks for your response, however it doesn't answer the question. We want to know if the GUID partition table is necessary (step 5), and if yes - can it be done with an existing partition/not harming another partition on the drive?

Not all of us students have 2 drives, or one we can borrow to accomplish this. Luckily I have a nice 'backup' usb drive, but I use one of the partitions for time machine. So these instructions are insufficient.

Feb 22, 2014 12:18 AM in response to sheila_m.

I found this article, which may help, but will also likely induce psychosis: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14080

Title: "If you can’t install OS X on an external disk"

Instructions: "To check the external disk’s partition scheme..."

Wow. Just wow. Please someone shoot me.

Ok in all seriousness though, we just want to know if its safe & possible to create a bootable mavericks installer on an already partitioned external drive! I have an external drive with a GUID partition table scheme, but the first partition is for Time Machine, and it's not my mac's time machine backups. So is it OK to go ahead with making the second partition a bootable Mavericks installer?

Please, if you don't know the answer, or don't feel that a straight answer is better (ie. "no, and here are the reasons why") then please do not respond.

Create bootable USN drive with two partitions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.