Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Don't want to get my Apps copied from iPhone to Macbook Air

Hi guys,

I own a Macbook Air 128GB and an iPhone 5 64GB, and I use to keep my Macbook Air's 'little' 128 GB SSD as light as I can, only keeping the basics. One of the things I consider unnecesary to keep, are all the apps I have installed on my iPhone -which are a lot-; this save me plenty of GBs on my Macbook. So I uncheck the "Automatically install new apps" option in iTunes when about synchronize and I delete all the apps previously copied to my mac through iTunes as well.

But, everytime I do sync my iPhone, iTunes tries to copy every app to my Macbook's "apps folder". So I lose tons of free space. I have not found any option in iTunes or iPhone to stop that. Do you guys know any way?

Thanks,

Best regards.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 10:57 AM

11 replies

Jan 25, 2014 5:01 AM in response to modular747

Well, if I go to my iphone when in iTunes, I can disable the sync for music, podcasts ringtones, video, photos... but not apps. I sync because is specially useful for music and podcasts, and is great, yeah. But you don't need the apps copied on your ssd drive but for backup reasons, and this should be extrictly optional.

I can't understand why Apple never fixed that in iTunes, I think is a serious issue, specially now in the SSD drives era, where you don't have plenty of space available.

Until now what I do is to let the system copy a few apps; after that I disable "automatically install new apps", and sometimes when I sync I can stop the apps get copied when cancel in the progress bar. But it doesn't work always. I just thought there was something I didn't know, but I see it is just the lack of an option.

Thank you guys.

Don't want to get my Apps copied from iPhone to Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.