Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X 10.1 upgrade broke preview clip playback on multi-monitor setup

Hello,

The upgrade to Final Cut Pro X 10.1 killed functionality within the program to properly preview clips not in the timeline.

I run a Mac Pro (2009) with 3 x Nvidia GT120 cards to power six monitors. Priror to the upgrade, everything functioned perfectly. Afterwards I am unable to preview clips on my main monitor.

Please see a demonstration of the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smBOdGOV_ks

I tried all types of troubleshooting procedures, even doing a full blank reinstall of Mavericks. I can only conclude there is a serious bug within Final Cut Pro X or Mavericks. I changed video cards slots, arrangements, updated to the latest versions of everything.

I spent a lot of money and time learning Final Cut Pro X and dropping our Adobe software to be crippled by this update. Does anyone know how to submit a bug to Apple over this?

Also, is anyone else having this problem? Please make your voice known so we can get this fixed, I can't work with this program.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 12:01 PM

5 replies

Jan 24, 2014 9:35 PM in response to SpyderZ

I think you need to learn how Maverics handles multiple monitors. Nothing "broke", just Mavericks has a peculiar way of handling multiple monitors.

I don't know anyone editing with six montiors on one Mac, that just seems insane. What is on each one? How do you keep track of all that while editing?

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&src=support_site.home.search&local e=en_US&q=mavericks%20multiple%20monitors

Jan 26, 2014 10:51 AM in response to SpyderZ

I'm not sure what the link/email is to leave a bug report but I'd find that and carefully describe this problem. It may be due to the video card and it would not shock me if fingers were pointed back and forth. You might try seeing if it occurs with just two cards or just one card of if it is dependant upon the use of some slot. While it may only occur on the main monitor, you may find something odd like "it only happens if I have slot X populated. So very few people have 6monitors connected that it's not unlikely that neither Apple or the card maker will jump on this. I would file a bug report and contact the video card maker too. Unfortunately I only have two monitors and don't see that issue and can't help in any meaningful way. I have a buddy with three monitors and rebooting has no effect on his monitor arrangement. I would also disconnect all non-apple hardware that could be involved in any concevable way and ensure that any unusual third party kexts were removed that could be interacting with Mavericks. When working with Apple's tech support they will want that done to try to ensure there isn't something non-apple involved.

It's expensive to work with an Apple trouble shooting engineer but if you're doing this work professionally and can write it off or can afford it you can indeed get one on the phone and see if they can be of assistance and at the very least get further troubleshooting suggestions from them. It may come down to reducing to three or four monitors or something like that vs Mavericks if that bug does indeed exist -just- in Mavericks or it may be third party software or hardware interacting with the video drivers. Good luck.

Jan 28, 2014 12:37 AM in response to digibudII

Thanks for the suggestions!

I spent the better 1/2 of a day pulling out and plugging video cards and discouvered an optimum setup that allows me to edit on my main monitor finanlly.

This is what I ended up with.

Monitor / Graphics Card Setup

4 (4x) Card 2 Monitors 3 & 4

3 (4x) Card 1 Monitors 2 & 5

2 (16x) Card 3 Monitors 1 & 6

1 (16 x) Empty

For some reason when I have two cards in both the 16x slots everything works fine. If I have two cards in the 4x slots everything works fine. If I put two cards in the 16x slots and a third in the 4x slot we have problems. If I put two cards in the 4x and one in the 16x first position had problems, moved it to the 2nd position 16x and everything worked.

A very bizzare problem that never was a problem prior to FCP X 10.1. At least I can edit on my main monitor and get stuff done. I only wish I could select which display acts and the secondary display for FCP X because it chooses one that is non-optiminal.

Final Cut Pro X 10.1 upgrade broke preview clip playback on multi-monitor setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.