Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I use Keychain or 3rd party S/W to store passwords securely?

What is best way to keep track of passwords? I now use an MS Word file that has a master password to open. I looked at PasswordBox app. I tried to figure out Keychain - a bit opaque. I want security.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 8:41 PM

I tried a few password managers, like LastPass and 1 Password, and found them cumbersome.

I like the iCloud keychain. It is free, straightforward to use, and works across all my mac hardware. (LastPass was free for the mac but required a subscription fee for iOS). I have not seen any credible information that it has any security problems, nor any reports of security breaches with it. Here is a reference with some facts: iCloud: iCloud security and privacy overview

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2014 8:41 PM in response to Bruce L.

I tried a few password managers, like LastPass and 1 Password, and found them cumbersome.

I like the iCloud keychain. It is free, straightforward to use, and works across all my mac hardware. (LastPass was free for the mac but required a subscription fee for iOS). I have not seen any credible information that it has any security problems, nor any reports of security breaches with it. Here is a reference with some facts: iCloud: iCloud security and privacy overview

Jan 24, 2014 8:47 PM in response to Bruce L.

Keychain can be used to do what you want, but the app really isn't designed to store user generated passwords and information. I've been using 1Password for years and it is my go-to app for storage of sensative information, but as Arthur points out iCloud Keychain is a very good, free alternative. And it comes with every Apple device you will purchase.

Jan 27, 2014 10:46 AM in response to dwb

Everybody;

Thanks for your input. I read an article in LA Times about PasswordBox and investigated the features on their website. Looks pretty simple and effective. Can store 25 pwds for free, unlimited for $1/mo. They also have a password Sharing option and a Legacy function that allows your named heirs to access your passwords with a death certificate. One Master password to access your vault.

Any comments on this S/W?

Should I use Keychain or 3rd party S/W to store passwords securely?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.