Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Joined Network but Self-Assigned IP from ethernet.

I am trying to use my previous generation Airport Extreme to act as a wireless switch for my PS3 that can't seem to find my network up in my room. I managed to get the airport to join the netowork of my Netgear WNDR3400. Connecting through wifi is fine and I can manage the airport when connect to said wifi. It is when I try to connect through ethernet that I get a self Assigned IP using DHCP and Airport Utility can't find the AEBS. I have tried manual address using DHCP and manually configuring both the Airport and the Wifi connection on my MacBook Pro to make sure it works before connecting to the PS3, but as of yet I have had no luck getting any kind of inernet connection through ethernet.

If I'm posting on here it means I've spent several hours trouble shooting with no luck 😕. Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 4:06 PM

I managed to get the airport to join the netowork of my Netgear WNDR3400. Connecting through wifi is fine and I can manage the airport when connect to said wifi. It is when I try to connect through ethernet that I get a self Assigned IP using DHCP and Airport Utility can't find the AEBS

The AEBS can "join" a wireless network......but....the Ethernet ports are not enabled when it is configured this way. Same for the Time Capsule. So, about all that you can do is connect a device to the USB port when the device is configured this way.

Ironically, the AirPort Express can "join" a wireless network, and the Ethernet port is enabled. That is because of a special, undocumented feature on the Express called ProxySTA....which is not included on the AEBS or TC.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2014 4:06 PM in response to Bizarro_Stormy2021

I managed to get the airport to join the netowork of my Netgear WNDR3400. Connecting through wifi is fine and I can manage the airport when connect to said wifi. It is when I try to connect through ethernet that I get a self Assigned IP using DHCP and Airport Utility can't find the AEBS

The AEBS can "join" a wireless network......but....the Ethernet ports are not enabled when it is configured this way. Same for the Time Capsule. So, about all that you can do is connect a device to the USB port when the device is configured this way.

Ironically, the AirPort Express can "join" a wireless network, and the Ethernet port is enabled. That is because of a special, undocumented feature on the Express called ProxySTA....which is not included on the AEBS or TC.

Jan 24, 2014 5:18 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Any workaround? I downloaded the previous version of Airport Utility that gives the ability to use WDS network settings, but again when I try to connect using this document http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4262, but as you may know it will again not conncet to anything other than an Apple router. I've also been reading that it's old tech and won't use 802.11n which would be ideal in this setup. Thanks again for the prompt and helpful info.

Jan 24, 2014 5:32 PM in response to Bizarro_Stormy2021

Sorry, no workaround other than an AirPort Express, or another device that would work as a wireless to Ethernet bridge.

Netgear, Linksys, etc would have such devices as well.

It would be a different matter if the AEBS were configured to "extend a wireless network", but that is a proprietary setting that will only work if you have another Apple router providing the wireless signal.

Joined Network but Self-Assigned IP from ethernet.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.