Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I connect both iMac (2011) hard drives to backup with Time Machine and Airport Time capsule?

Hi - my iMac has 2 hard drives, 250 Gb solid state and a 2 Tb drive. I'm backing up using time Machine to an Airport time Capsule but only the 250 Gb drive comes up in hte list? All my photos are on the 2 Tb drive (about 120GB worth) and I want a back up for these. I'm running under OS X 10.9.1 Maverick

Any help would be greatly appreaciated!

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), back up of 2 hard drives

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 4:08 PM

4 replies

Jan 24, 2014 4:25 PM in response to Rayjac

The secondary drive might be in the exclude list.. so open the TM preferences / options and remove the 2TB from the exclude.. on the next backup the 2TB will be included and you should notice a fairly long backup..

User uploaded file

The idea of removing an item from exclude list is a double Negative kind of thinking.. I have no idea why you would have such a method.

Jan 24, 2014 4:40 PM in response to Rayjac

Ok.. I am surprised..

What did you format the 2TB drive.. I find it hard to imagine you formatted an internal drive anything but Mac OS extended journaled (HFS+) .. but you could have.

Time Machine can only backup HFS+ format drives.

Of course this Mavericks.. and in Mavericks the bugs rein supreme in Time Machine.

Reset TM setup.. See A4 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

Make sure the 2TB drive is mounted when you redo the TM setup.

To be honest.. I would also buy CCC and do a full clone of the drive..

TM is great for the occasional file loss.. but it is lousy to restore a drive. CCC at the moment is $40 or so and IMHO money well spent.

http://www.bombich.com/

I use it but just to say I have no connection to them..

Jan 27, 2014 4:12 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi

Not sure if it related or not, but I had a minor issue (I stuffed up) permissions. After my son reset these, I can now see that the 2Tb drive is being backed up!

I've bookmarked the TM site and found it very useful and thanks for the info. I had a quick look at Carbon Copy Cloner and it looks pretty good, so again thanks a lot!

cheers

how do I connect both iMac (2011) hard drives to backup with Time Machine and Airport Time capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.