Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help configuring Airport Extreme with Motorola Surfboard 6141

I was getting poor wifi performance, so I decided to replace the TWC issued Arris TG862 with this new gear. I just bought the newest Airport Extreme and Motorola Surfboard 6141 Cable Modem. I have TimeWarner Cable 50Gbit service. For setting up the Airport Extreme, I am using the Apple Airport Utility for Windows 7. I called TWC, and got as far as getting the Motorola Surfboard 6141 Cable Modem connected to my PC. I can access the Internet, and It's working fine. I ran over to Best Buy, picked up the Airport Extreme, and thought I would connect it to the Cable Modem and magically would have wifi...guess it is a little harder than that...I have been running Apple Airport(s) as long as I can remember, but this is the first time the auto-config has me stumped. Can anyone submit detailed step by step instructions?

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 6:58 PM

You may not be aware that cable modems associate with, and "remember" the device to which they first connect.....and they will totally ignore any other device that connects to the modem.

So, it is not the AirPort that is the culprit here.

In other words, the modem is married to your computer. You need for it to divorce your computer and then it will become interested in the AirPort Extreme.

Press the reset button on the modem and power it off completely by pulling the power cord from the device.

Leave the modem off for at least 30 minutes.

During the power down time of the modem, power up the AirPort Extreme for a few minutes, then hold in the reset button firmly on the back of the device for 10 seconds and release.

Allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart.

Then, power off the AirPort Extreme

After the power down period for the modem, connect the modem to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme.

Power up the modem and let it run for at least 10 minutes

Power up the Airport Extreme and let it run for 5 minutes

Then use AirPort Utility to configure the AirPort Extreme.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2014 6:58 PM in response to kbromber

You may not be aware that cable modems associate with, and "remember" the device to which they first connect.....and they will totally ignore any other device that connects to the modem.

So, it is not the AirPort that is the culprit here.

In other words, the modem is married to your computer. You need for it to divorce your computer and then it will become interested in the AirPort Extreme.

Press the reset button on the modem and power it off completely by pulling the power cord from the device.

Leave the modem off for at least 30 minutes.

During the power down time of the modem, power up the AirPort Extreme for a few minutes, then hold in the reset button firmly on the back of the device for 10 seconds and release.

Allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart.

Then, power off the AirPort Extreme

After the power down period for the modem, connect the modem to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme.

Power up the modem and let it run for at least 10 minutes

Power up the Airport Extreme and let it run for 5 minutes

Then use AirPort Utility to configure the AirPort Extreme.

I need help configuring Airport Extreme with Motorola Surfboard 6141

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.