Previous 1 2 Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2014 11:11 AM by jrc362
jrc362 Level 1 (5 points)

Hello,

My External Hard Drive containing my Projects is no longer visible in my Projects Window. The projects are all in their folders on the external HD but of course they no longer appear in the Projects Window since FCP X cannot see the drive. As a test, when I select "import media" FCP X can find the external hard drive so it's reading the drive. It just seems something got "disconnected." I'm not sure what further info you might need to diagnose, but please let me know and i will get it to you. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

FCP X 10.0.9

Mac OS X 10.7.5

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)
  • Tom Wolsky Level 10 (115,550 points)

There's most likely a folder called DCIM at the root level of the drive that makes the application think it's a camera. Rename it.

• jrc362 Level 1 (5 points)

Thanks Tom, but to be clear: the FCP projects NO LONGER appear in the Project Window. That is to say these are projects I have already worked on. They do not appear because FCP is not finding the HD they are on. Currently the Project Window lists all other hard drives on my computer including my external Time Machine Hard Drive. It does not however, list the external HD where the prjects are stored. The Final Cut Project Folders are all there, it is just that FCP cannot see them since it doesn't see the drive. Make sense?

That's what I'm trying to explain. FCP doesn't list projects from the the drive because it thinks the drive is a camera. There is a folder on the root level of the drive that is most likely the cause of this. Post a screen shot of the root level of the drive.

Tom, thank for your reply. I think I understand now. Can you tell me how to view the root level of the drive? Not sure how to access that. Appreciate your patience. Learning all the time!

The root level is what you see when you first open the drive. The top level of the drive.

Is this what you mean?

FinderScreenSnapz001.jpg

Don't know what's causing it. Maybe the System folder or the GoPro folders. You might try putting them in a folder called jrc362.

Do you see the drive in the import window?

Hi Tom,

Yes, I do see the drive in the Import Window. That is to say, when I select "Import Media" the drive shows up. When you say try putting the System Folder or the GoPro folders in a folder called jrc362, do you mean create a new folder called jrc362 and drop the System Folder and GoPro folders into that folder on the drive?

Also, out of curiosity I clicked the System Folder and below shows you what it contains. Seems like I may be missing something in this folder? Does it tell you anything?

ThanksFinderScreenSnapz002.jpg

The System folder looks like it's from a boot drive, but that's not a boot drive. A boot drive needs to have these folders

ScreenSnapz003.png

Certainly the boot library should have a lot more stuff like this

ScreenSnapz004.png

So, it appears I may have accidentally deleted the boot drive from this hard drive. Any thoughts on what to do next? Anyway to copy boot drive onto this hard drive? Ugh....

You can't. A boot system has to be installed. But I don't think that has anything to do with the FCP problem. If you put those folders in a new folder, does the drive appear in 10.0.9.

I created a folder (jrc362) and dropped the System Folder and the GoPro Folders into it. The Finder created copies of these folders instead of just moving them into the folder. I moved the original folders into the trash (have not emptied trash yet) and then launched FCP. No difference.

Something weird has happened to that drive. Most likely a permissions problem which is why it's copying stuff. I would get a new drive, reformat it, and copy everything off the drive onto it, except that useless System folder which may be the root of your problems. Was this a boot drive at one time that got trashed?

Yes, the drive was a boot drive at one time. I think when I was doing a little housekeeping with my hard drives, I goofed and accidentally trashed some things on this drive, which would explain the "something weird". I am going to do what you suggest. Copy everything off the drive onto another, reformat and copy back. Fingers crossed. Will let you know.

Previous 1 2 Next