Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP X Lost Projects/Can't See External Hard Drive

Hello,

My External Hard Drive containing my Projects is no longer visible in my Projects Window. The projects are all in their folders on the external HD but of course they no longer appear in the Projects Window since FCP X cannot see the drive. As a test, when I select "import media" FCP X can find the external hard drive so it's reading the drive. It just seems something got "disconnected." I'm not sure what further info you might need to diagnose, but please let me know and i will get it to you. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

FCP X 10.0.9

Mac OS X 10.7.5

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 7:13 PM

21 replies

Jan 25, 2014 8:50 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom, but to be clear: the FCP projects NO LONGER appear in the Project Window. That is to say these are projects I have already worked on. They do not appear because FCP is not finding the HD they are on. Currently the Project Window lists all other hard drives on my computer including my external Time Machine Hard Drive. It does not however, list the external HD where the prjects are stored. The Final Cut Project Folders are all there, it is just that FCP cannot see them since it doesn't see the drive. Make sense?

Jan 25, 2014 10:12 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

Yes, I do see the drive in the Import Window. That is to say, when I select "Import Media" the drive shows up. When you say try putting the System Folder or the GoPro folders in a folder called jrc362, do you mean create a new folder called jrc362 and drop the System Folder and GoPro folders into that folder on the drive?

Also, out of curiosity I clicked the System Folder and below shows you what it contains. Seems like I may be missing something in this folder? Does it tell you anything?

ThanksUser uploaded file

Jan 26, 2014 1:16 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes, the drive was a boot drive at one time. I think when I was doing a little housekeeping with my hard drives, I goofed and accidentally trashed some things on this drive, which would explain the "something weird". I am going to do what you suggest. Copy everything off the drive onto another, reformat and copy back. Fingers crossed. Will let you know.

Jan 27, 2014 9:51 AM in response to jrc362

So, I have copied files and reformatted the drive. Now, FCP can see the drive however, none of the projects are showing up in the project window. The Project Library on the left lists all my hard drives and in the Project Window is an icon which says: Create New Project/To begin editing, create a new project. The project will be stored on the selcted hard disk. Thoughts? There are folders on a couple of the drives that are Final Cut project folders but FCP is not showing any of them.

FCP X Lost Projects/Can't See External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.