Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why exactly is it only macbook 2008 or later that can run Mavericks?

I have an old mid 2007 macbook 13"

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 3 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Chipset Model: GMA 950

I have 3GB RAM split 2:1

500GB Hard Drive

I dont know it all seems really vague and I want a legit answer as to why I couldnt run it or what would happen if I did.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 10:01 PM

3 replies

Jan 24, 2014 10:16 PM in response to CeeLea

Here are the requirements:

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

When Apple introduces a new OS, they have to impose a limit of how far back they can support the new OS with the hardware; older models can't sustain the way the new OS operates. Both the processor and logic board (graphics card) have to be able to run it. Even if your machine could run it, it would be most likely not the best experience. The new systems devour RAM; 4 GB is generally recommended for basic computing, 8 GB or more is better especially if you do any photo or video editing. Snow Leopard runs great on 3 GB - Mountain Lion or Mavericks wouldn't like it too much.

As for installing if you tried: you will get a message that the OS cannot be installed on this computer and the installer would simply quit.

Why exactly is it only macbook 2008 or later that can run Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.