Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

quicktime player does not respond to space key

This is driving me crazy. Sometimes when a movie is playing, I can pause it and resume with the space key. Sometimes, I cannot. I cannot tell when. It will work with a movie, then I'll go away and then back to the very same movie, and it will stop working. Pressing space key will just beep and nothing else happens. I have to click the "play" triangle in the interface to play the movie. Then sometimes the space key works again. Very intermittent and I cannot tell why it happens. I'm sure I'm not the only one... or am I?

PowerMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 14 GB RAM, 2.8 GHz Quad Core

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 9:19 AM

I'm experiencing this issue as well and it's driving me crazy. It seems to have started with Mavericks and also occurs in VLC. I either need to push the play triangle or select the window again before pressing the space bar. The "close, minimize and maximize" buttons also become greyed out so somehow the window is no longer "at the front of the screen" -- I don't know how to say it -- even though the screen might be maximized and I haven't touched anything else.

Please advise.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2014 9:19 AM in response to wealthychef

I'm experiencing this issue as well and it's driving me crazy. It seems to have started with Mavericks and also occurs in VLC. I either need to push the play triangle or select the window again before pressing the space bar. The "close, minimize and maximize" buttons also become greyed out so somehow the window is no longer "at the front of the screen" -- I don't know how to say it -- even though the screen might be maximized and I haven't touched anything else.

Please advise.

quicktime player does not respond to space key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.