Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Line of Sight WiFi Connection Issue

I have a wifi connection issue that has recently appeared on my 18 month old MBP 15" running OS X 10.8.5.

I used to get a good 60+mb connection sitting in the same room about 3m from the BT HomeHub 4 router.

Recently even though I am in the same seat and the router hasn't been moved my connection is none existant.

If I move the MBP to the router i get full speeds again, a metre or so away and the speed has halved and then back in my usual spot 3m away from the router there is nothing.

To get any wireless connectivity at all I have to be able to see the router.

I have tried hardware diagnostics and it was reported as all good. I have tried connection assistant and suggestions that I have found from others with connection issues.

Connection with ethernet cable gives good speeds too as you might expect.

My iPad and iPhone report good speedtest results no matter where I test in the house, so the issue does point to my MBP.

Anyone have any ideas please?

Posted on Jan 25, 2014 8:20 AM

12 replies

Jan 25, 2014 10:25 AM in response to Jed Macuser

To add a little more information. Sorry, I've been struggling with this problem for a week or so and didn't make notes of what I've done.

I've tried resetting my router to default settings in case something had inadvertently been changed.

I have also done a clean re-install.

I also tried clearing the password from keychain and turning off wifi then restarting and running disk utility and repairing the drive permissions and reconnecting to my wifi. This was suggested on another thread refering to connection issues.

Jan 25, 2014 11:40 AM in response to SeaPapp

Hi Mike,

I've just created a New location and then tried a test with Speedtest.net and managed a download speed of 0.65mps and upload of 0.19. So that's about 100th of what I should be getting.

Those readings are consistent with previous readings. It will drop completely for 20-30 mins then come back.

The phone is right next to the router and I would imagine if it was causing problems then it would still do that when the MBP is by the router.

Jan 25, 2014 12:43 PM in response to SeaPapp

Yes, that does sound like the most likely cause of my problems. The fact that things improve the closer I get to the router does point to antenna issues.

I wonder how much that will cost to replace :S

In the meantime I will try and find someone elses wifi to try out. If the distance from the router is still an issue I think that will be a clincher pointing at the antenna.

Cheers Mike.

Line of Sight WiFi Connection Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.