Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Well Does the Smart Case Protect the iPad Air if Dropped?

Would it stop the tablet's screen from cracking from a drop of, say, chest height?

iPad, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 25, 2014 8:59 AM

6 replies

Jan 25, 2014 9:09 AM in response to Tomanthonyi

How can anyone answer that?

Depends on so many factors. What angle the iPad lands at. What surface it is dropped onto. The exact force applied to the screen on impact.

You could drop a dozen iPads onto a floor identically, and they'd all suffer different damage ranging from none to catastrophic.

Due to its design the Smart Cover is more effective at protecting the screen from being struck or scratched by objects hitting the screen.

If you are considering dropping your iPad from chest height (or any height for that matter), I'd recommend not doing so.

Jan 25, 2014 9:12 AM in response to dU2mDUifydkRa0E9ic5A

Uh, experience?

You might be mistaken, I'm talking about the Smart Case, not Cover, this thing http://store.apple.com/au/product/MF047FE/A/ipad-air-smart-case-brown that covers the whole back and front of the iPad.

You can probably generalise the Case's effectiveness if you have experience with it, or own it, which I don't. So yeah I was just wondering if it's good at absorbing impact.

Jan 25, 2014 9:26 AM in response to Tomanthonyi

Well, the front of the Smart Case is exactly the same as the front of the Smart Cover. Protection on the back won't protect the screen on the front...

I doubt you'll find many people experienced in dropping iPads from chest height. Most people try to avoid dropping their expensive gadgets at all.

As I said, every drop is different. Some will survive - some won't. Depends on circumstances (and luck).

Jan 25, 2014 9:30 AM in response to Tomanthonyi

I have the Smart Case on my iPad Air. Snozdop is right- there isn't a way to determine exactly what would happen to an iPad dropped from "chest height". As with most iPods and iPhones, having a case on them prevents damage from most accidental drops but isn't foolproof. I'm more comfortable having a full wraparound case on my iDevices and the iPad SmartCase is a good one...

Ryan

How Well Does the Smart Case Protect the iPad Air if Dropped?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.